Monday, December 8, 2014

Conclave Dinner, A Mystery, and Pat’s Deliver

I guess I’m starting to understand why fantasy football is so addictive.  Since my wife and I received a bye this week as the playoffs started we didn’t have a team to follow and it made a real difference.  My wife even scheduled a dinner with the Panamanian Mafia that took up a healthy chunk of the afternoon and I couldn’t have cared less.  I understand now why the NFL supports fantasy football so well – ingenious way to hook people into league play even if we don’t care about which team is currently playing.
The Mafia Conclave and Scary Food
The dinner was a lot of fun.  It was held at the house of one of the Panamanian Mafia members – a nice Korean lady who attained her Panamanian affiliation through marriage, just like myself.  I had some intense warning lights cook off when I saw the food arrayed for consumption.  I have a well-deserved and frankly worldwide reputation for being a very finicky eater.  Being confronted by a bowl of kimchee is not something I take lightly as I quickly checked for avenues of egress. 

Our hostess had gone to extraordinary lengths to prepare a beautiful, traditional Korean meal for us – again not good news for moi.  While everybody was extolling their anticipation for expanding their global palates I was trying to figure out how to dispose of the food without a handy dog to sneak it to.  My wife knew exactly what was going on and seemed to enjoy my quandary.  The evening was rescued with the arrival of a steaming bowl of marinated steaks.  My only problem from that point on was what to do with the plastic I had surreptitiously lined by pockets with (again – no dog around).
Mysterious Tracks
We had to beat feet out of Worcester in order to return home in time for the Patriot’s west coast game in San Diego.  When we pulled into the driveway we were confronted by a mystery.  Someone had driven across the neighbor’s lawn to their front door and then backed out across our driveway leaving some of the front lawn and supporting dirt on our driveway.  It was strange.  The neighbors do have a young teenaged daughter and I wonder if this was the first indication that boys are starting to notice her.  I’ll have to install some early warning devices.
Great Win
The Patriots’ game felt like a playoff contest as San Diego got a lot of their best defensive players back and tried to stay as physical as New England.  That worked for a half and some change before they went all California and started to wilt.  The best sign for the Patriots was their defense who gave up only one score and stifled a potent San Diego attack.  My wife kept trying to draw me into assisting with her continuing Christmas decorating during the game but that was not happening.  A very satisfying win which sets them up for the three remaining games and then on to the playoffs.  This team has evolved over the year and finds a way to win – dare I hope that it is special.

My Daughter Engaged in Some Going Away Partying Yesterday
Speaking of special we checked in with WingMan out in L.A yesterday and he reported that he had completely unloaded all of the pods and the household goods were now safely in the new apartment.  Just to twist the blade a little he reported it was 70 degrees and sunny.  It was 14 degrees here when I got up this morning.  Maybe there is something to this whole California thing.
Finally today is Mother's Day in Panama -an actual national holiday, as it should be here.  I want to wish the very happiest of days and congratulations to all the fabulous Panamanian mothers it has been my honor to know over the years.

No comments:

Post a Comment