Tuesday, December 23, 2014

Kindling Panic, Decorating Dogs and Victory Dance

Anyone who reads this blog knows I’m a somewhat voracious reader of books.  One of my chief enabling tools is my trusty Kindle which effortlessly downloads another book as soon as I finish one.  You can imagine the panic that set in yesterday when just as I finished another Travis McGee novel (see below) and ordered the next one to have the heretofore faithful device crash.  There’s not a lot you can do with the vestigial controls on the device so I was in a bit of a quandary, not to mention experiencing a full blown cursing fit.  I tried recharging it overnight and nothing.  I was forced to devote my reading during this morning’s bicycle session to the latest US Army War College Quarterly – not exactly as much fun as the adventures from the Busted Flush.
The Amazon Help Page - Idiot Proof - I'm the Evidence
I knew I couldn’t expect a lot of help from Amazon on what must be their busiest day of the year so I just plugged in my question to a google search and was brought to an Amazon help page.  There was a series of steps laid out – basically pushing and holding the “on” switch for forty seconds, there was even a timer on the page.  I followed the directions and the kindle came back to life!  My brother in law states today’s instant access to information is a monumental sea change in human history – he may be on to something. 
Indignant Buddy
Buddy the Wonder Pooch suffered his annual indignity when my wife decorated him for Christmas.  Usually he’s forced to wear a festive scarf which is bad enough for his male ego but last night the humiliation was magnified when, while wrapping presents, she attached some ribbons to his collar.  He appealed to me but we can both guess how far that went.  An extended and energetic attempt to remove the offending ribbons met with little success.  He then jumped on the couch between my wife and I and tried to look as sad and pathetic as possible.  What is it about women and their need to decorate dogs at Christmas?  I am going to find a way to surreptitiously cut that badge of dishonor tonight. 
Pee Wee The Fearful Settling in on a New L.A. Victory Rug
My daughter cemented her victory in the fantasy football super bowl last night although her brother gave her a run for her money.  Luckily for her, Peyton Manning is rounding into playoff form and totally dissolved when the cold rain started to fall in Cincinnati last night.  She took her victory with the calm equanimity that was to be expected.  A portion of her electronic victory dance message to her brother went as follows:

As mentioned above I finished my latest foray into John D. MacDonald’s world of Travis McGee with Cinnamon Skin.  This book certainly starts out with a bang as McGee’s buddy Meyer’s boat, the John Maynard Keynes, is blown out of the water under mysterious circumstances.  Meyer is devastated since his only living relative, a niece, was on the boat at the time.  As he and McGee look further into the mystery man who married the niece and was supposedly on the boat as well they find a very convoluted trail of dead women.  This was a straight forward detective story with Meyer and McGee travelling all over Texas, New York, and ultimately Mexico to track down an elusive sociopath.  This is the next to last McGee novel so I’m getting incredibly nostalgic about this visit with one of my oldest friends/idol.  Kind of a perfect time of year for that sentiment, anyways.

I leave you with some of MacDonald’s words from Cinnamon Skin with Meyer reflecting on his lost niece:  “I never really got to know her.  I should have made the effort.  But she had a very busy life.  We all think of the inconvenience of making an effort.  We’re all going to do the right things a little later on.  Soon.  But soon slides by so easily.  Then we’ll vow we’ll try to do better.  We all carry that little oppressive weight around in the back of our mind-that we should be living better, trying harder, but we’re not.  We’re all living just about as well as we can at any given moment.  But that doesn’t stop the wishing.”

No comments:

Post a Comment