Monday, December 1, 2014

Beginnings

I feel a little diminished today.  I was forced by fate and the onward march of implacable time to make my last trip to the New Haven, Connecticut train station last night.  That trip was a welcome staple over the past decade as it marked an opportunity to pick up and less happily – drop off - my daughter and then the Wing Man when he appeared on the scene.  The drop offs were never easy but last night was the toughest since it’s the last one because as they’re pulling up stakes from New York City and becoming Left Coasters.
The Left Coasters Last Night in Zorba's
While I knew this day was coming it didn’t make it any easier.  I’ve gone months between seeing them but it was always somewhat comforting to know they were within easy striking range in the Big Apple.  I feel like I’m betraying them on a certain level because I should be and truthfully am happy that they’ve made this decision to embark on a new chapter in their life together.  I’m selfish enough to still feel the pain though.  I didn’t want to let them go last night.  I’m sustained in knowing this is the right decision for them and not a little excited they’ll be getting out of New York City with its attendant requirements.

At least I had the entire day with them yesterday. I awoke to face the detritus of the Saturday night bon voyage party but for the most part the late night crew left very little to clean up.  I did come across a veritable treasure trove of beer though.  A lot of people brought beer to donate to the cause and I seem to have fallen in with a crowd of wine drinkers because despite my own Herculean efforts there was a lot of beer left over.  The second refrigerator is heroically taking up the load until our annual Christmas party in a couple weeks.
The Overstocked Second Fridge
My daughter and Wing Man decided to spend the day so we could watch first the Red Zone and then the Patriots’ game together.  The Wing Man is suffering through a tough season (not as tough as the ABFA but that’s another story) in fantasy football.  He can’t be nonchalant about it because he’s a real aficionado of the game and it kills him to lose to us novices.  He’s a good sport about it though.  I think this weekend marked the end of the regular season for our league and my wife and I finished in first place with another win, this time over the ABFA’s parents. 
Part of that win came at the expense of the Patriots though as Aaron Rodgers was good enough to score enough to fend off the Pats I a very cold Green Bay.  I think if the game is played anywhere else than Lambeau Field the Patriots would have won.  The officiating crew let the Green Bay receivers push off all night long and Rodgers only the smallest of windows.  I’m sure Belichik will use to loss to place a rather large chip on the shoulder of the team for the rest of the season.  We decided to watch the second half of the game at Zorba’s in another farewell gesture since we’d been too busy to stop by this faverotie haunt over the holiday weekend.  Nostalgia was kicking my ass last night.
I returned home to an all too empty house after my Connecticut adventures and even Buddy sensed the loss of the “cat people” who seemed immune to his “charm” but not for the lack of trying.  I sat down to watch The Hornet’s Nest while I awaited word the Californians had safely arrived back in New York City.  It was kind of eerie to watch this documentary about a father and son journalist team embedded with US forces in Afghanistan.  It was eerie because the majority of the time was spent with the infantry battalion I used to command in the 101st Airborne Division – in another age.  To hear the all too familiar radio call signs brought back a lot of memoires.  The reporter spent most of his time cowering in ditches which is the right thing to do when someone shooting at you and the only thing you have to return fire is a camera.  It was still a pretty powerful look into modern day combat. 


A little after midnight I received word my favorite Californians were safely back in their temporary home.

No comments:

Post a Comment