Monday, December 15, 2014

Knockout Mumbo Jumbo

The Going Away Brunch
Yesterday was a day of serious recovery operations, especially for my wife who labored the past week like a mine worker preparing for our Christmas party.  Before she could rest though she had to provide hojaldra production lessons for the ABFA and the daughter of the Maine Musquetera. Both young ladies wanted to learn the secrets behind these breakfast delicacies.  I think my son was particularly pleased with his wife’s interest.  That’s not the only thing my son was pleased about yesterday – see below for more on that.
Hojaldra Lessons
The house was eerily quiet once again once all the party guests left around noon for their various destinations.  The Maine Musquetera was on the road for barely fifteen minutes before she and my wife were on the phone for another twenty minutes. They just can’t seem to get enough of each other.  I took up station to watch the Patriots’ game and was rewarded with a through thumping of a Miami team that had ruined the Pats’ season debut.  As Miami is wont to do they’d done a lot of trash talking after their earlier win and it came back to haunt them yesterday when they were summarily executed by a very motivated Patriots team.  Even Brady took off for a long run that had every Patriots’ fan cringing, especially when he tried to run over the safety.  The Patriots with the win secured yet another division championship but I liked the workmanlike approach to that – they obviously have bigger goals than a mere division championship. 
Now to that whole joy in Portsmouth thing.  I was up against my son, the league commissioner, in the second round of fantasy football playoffs.  I came in as the #1 seed but I knew I was in trouble early when Aaron Rodger (my quarterback) crapped all over himself away from Lambeau Field to that juggernaut – the Buffalo Bills (c’mon – don’t even begin to compare him to Brady).  Anyways I hung around for a while but in the night game my son’s erratic wide receiver Dez Bryant basically went off and I ended up losing by ten points and am officially eliminated.  None of this takes the additional joy gleaned this year from dipping our toes into the whole fantasy football craze.  My son in typical understated fashion sent me a message this morning – “DOWN GOES FRAZIER!”.  I hope my daughter can eke out a win tonight against the Keene Friend which would set up a superbowl between brother and sister – just like when they were growing up.
I was kind of ambushed by a film last night.  I rented, through Netflix, America:  Imagine the World Without Her, thinking it was a documentary seriously looking at what the world would be like without the USA around.  It turned out to be a conservative diatribe with a very loose relationship with history.  I did enjoy that there was someone from the other end of the political spectrum from the two liberal idiots, Mike Moore and Oliver Stone, spewing their moronic drivel.  I think it’s good there’s someone with access to the mainstream media that can confront the radical left so dominant in documentary films.  Intelligent people can make up their own minds if both sides are represented.  I also liked the references back to DeTocqueville and his seminal examination of the strengths of America in the 19th century.

I didn’t buy the whole insidious conspiracy by radical Saul Alinsky to overthrow the promise of America from within by divisive politics culminating with the Activist in Chief and Ms. Hillary.  Self-styled historian Howard Zinn, an avowed anarchist and darling of the Hollywood set championed by Matt Damon, is also discredited which from my own investigation into his background is probably a good thing.  The film is strongest when it points out the promise of America and the opportunity freedom offers entrepreneurial capitalism as a mechanism for common people to lift their state in life.  The rest of the film is kind of awkward jingoism that wasn’t that entertaining or thought provoking.  I was entertained by the thought of the Cantankerous Friend ever seeing this – his head would definitely explode.  

No comments:

Post a Comment