Sunday, December 14, 2014

New Shoes Amongst Party Fever

The Two Musqueteras Last Night
So last night was about as much fun as legally permissible in most states but before I get to that I can now reveal what I bought for myself as a Christmas gift.  I took my wife’s poor Highlander in for its annual inspection in the morning.  It’s been a rough month for the poor thing, what with idiots backing it into other cars and such.  Before the inspection even started I asked the mechanic to first look at the tires, even though I knew what he was going to say.  His sardonic smile told me all I needed to know.  The Highlander was getting four new tires to match its new bumper.  A thousand dollars later we high stepped home, a lot poorer but more confident for the upcoming winter season’s travails.

The Highlander Awaiting Her New Shoes
When I returned from my shoe buying expedition I found my son and the ABFA in residence while my wife and the Maine Musquetera had snuck out for, again no mystery here, shopping!  I caught up with the Portsmouth pair while finishing off the last tasks assigned for party prep and checking in on Army’s annual ass kicking by the rust pickers.
Son and ABFA Last Night
My thoughts throughout the day however were with my daughter and Pee Wee the Fearful who were making their way across the US to their new home in California.  We received periodic updates throughout the day and received the following photo from WingMan just as the party was kicking into gear.  This of course provided us with yet another reason to celebrate, I’m so happy for those two starting this new phase of their life together.
Daughter and Pee We Arriving in Cali
Our Christmas party started a little earlier this year but that allowed the next door neighbors to come over with their four kids including the three month old twins.  There was some serious contention betwixt the ladies of my generation as to who would spend the most “grandmother training” time with the infants.  I even ended up holding one for ten minutes (until it started crying).  The harried mother was so relieved to find all these willing participants to share the mother load.  Buddy was consigned to the basement for most of the party as the scent of cooking pork sent him into a frenzied state.
ABFA's Mom With Some Grandma Training with Neighbor's Twin

Party Kicks Off
It was a great mix of family, friends, neighbors, the Worcester Chapter of the Panamanian mafia, and the Maine Musquetera’s family.  The group just seemed to jell with groups forming and sharing the holiday spirit before dissolving and moving on to another fun conversation.  Everybody brought some food to go with the meal.  My wife did her usual fantastic job as “hostess with the mostest” gliding around the party making everyone feel welcome and extremely special.  My own plan for reducing the immense stockpile of beer left over from Thanksgiving was thwarted when people kept showing up with more beer.  I gave it a significant effort notwithstanding.
Group Shot - My Wife Sitting in my Lap in the Foreground
The ABFA’s parents journeyed down from New Hampshire in what has become a standard and most welcome development for our parties since that remarkable young lady entered our life.  My brother in law even drove up from Rhode Island for an abbreviated but well spent time.  He and my son spent some time together solving all the Red Sox problems.  When it became time for dessert we unveiled Bonecrusher and the ABFA wielded that fell sword in an expert cleaving of the Maine Musquetera’s Christmas cake. 

The Fam
Since this was a party and there were Panamanians involved the dancing soon started up.  My wife kept the TV remote and was culling through a series of music channels unto she found an appropriate song.  As stated above, it was just entirely too much fun and a great way to kick off the holiday season.  The party wound down as the various participants made their long drives or walks home.  For some reason there was a request for an action movie which I more than readily volunteered to provide.  I think I saw the first five minutes before the length of the day, the effort, and well okay the beer, saw fit to close my eyes.  A half hour later, around 1am, I eased upstairs and passed the two musqueteras engaged in one of their trademark late night (early morning) conversations.  A good night, indeed.
The ABFA Wielding Bonecrusher

No comments:

Post a Comment