Sunday, December 21, 2014

Permeation

My Friday Night Date at Zorba's
I was fortunate enough yesterday to fully tap into the Christmas season by spending the bulk of my day with some close friends and at the same time successfully avoiding shopping.  My wife likes to spend a day in my hometown of Keene doing some tax free shopping and as long as I can come up with a suitable distraction for myself it’s a win win situation.  Every time I pull into my hometown as I come up the small rise on Main Street and see the big white church that dominates Central Square I get that all too elusive feeling of being home again.
The Gathering Storm - Cantankerous, Keene Friend and Myself in Scores
We rousted Keene Friend out of his slumbers following his overnight work schedule.  He was operating on only a couple hours sleep but rallied impressively as we took in lunch at a small restaurant, The Stage, right next to that big white church.  Following lunch we each went with our strengths.  My wife took off to scour the downtown shopping venues while Keene Friend and I took up station in Scores (sports bar) to watch my alma mater play in the national semi-finals in football.  I may have also taken the opportunity to sample some of the wares offered by that fine establishment.
The Keene Friend 2 Joined Us to Complete the Set
This wasn’t planned but soon after we arrived I sent messages to Keene Friend 2 and we even found the Cantankerous One had a rare Saturday off from squiring his dad around greater New England.  Soon all four of us were holding forth as UNH slowly gave up their football ghost for another year.  My wife stopped by a couple times to report her various successes and that she was now taking to car to range further afield. 
My Daughter Confirmed That There are Christmas Trees in L.A. with the Wingman
My daughter checked in from L.A. where she reported the Christmas season was in full swing out there despite the total lack of frosty weather.  She didn’t seem too upset by that development.  Keene Friend 2 had to leave to referee a women’s hockey game (I’m not kidding) so we made the short but very cold walk back to Keene Friend 1’s house.  Since the lack of sleep was beginning to tell we sent him up to bed while the Cantankerous One and I attempted to drink all his beer. 
The Margarita's Christmas Carolers
My wife eventually ran out of shopping steam and she loaded us and Buddy into the car for a dinner date at Margarita’s.  Buddy was left in the car which he took with aplomb if not gratitude.  Margarita’s was packed with a crowd of guys dressed up as Christmas elves and they seemed to be enjoying themselves immensely.  We sat down for dinner and after a short time the guys gathered near the entrance and performed a rather professional Christmas carol for the entire bar.  

My Wife and Cantankerousity at Margarita's
My wife joined the banter that is always a state of nature when the Cantankerous Friend is involved.  As with the rest of the day I just sat back and enjoyed the time in my favorite place on earth surrounded by some of my favorite people. It was an unplanned day that went far better than any planned event could have hoped for.  There’s a special feeling that permeates a day like yesterday – a feeling of being blessed by the people in my life (yes even the Cantankerous One).   

No comments:

Post a Comment