Thursday, December 4, 2014

Bossed Around

I finished a huge project at work yesterday which severely compromised my naval contemplation activities.  It involved a lot of data mining and the use of Excel. I think I understand why accountants can be so angry after a solid week of cruising that delightful software.  On the upside I actually solved a couple problems with formulas on my own without summoning the IT experts.  The scary side of being a civilian.
I’m ready for the weekend since I seem to still be operating on the sleep disruption of my past weekend fiesta times.  It was so much easier to bounce back in my younger days.  Speaking of younger days we have a young employee here who’s fascinated with my prior military service.  He swings by every now and then to impress me with his latest adventure demonstrating how macho he is.  He went tandem sky diving over the past weekend and said I should try it.  I showed him this picture which a friend had posted on Facebook recently.  I told him my thrill meter (not to mention some badly aging compressed knees and ankles) was pegged after a couple hundred of the military jumps in my own youth.    
Wing Man starts the California trek today so my thoughts are with him as he starts out on that new adventure.  My daughter and Pee Wee the Spineless remain in NYC for a couple more weeks. 

My son just received some fairly fantastic news in the form of a new job.  The company he is currently with wasn’t setting the world on fire and another opportunity came up.  He applied and thought he’d priced himself out of the job during the interview.  He said the interview went for more than three hours and I told him that if they spent that amount of time with him they were very interested. Over the weekend he received the news about what they thought in the form of a very lucrative job offer.  He’ll start the new job after the holidays.

Date night was delayed by New England weather until last night when we went to see Horrible Bosses 2.  I loved the first movie which was raunchily funny throughout.  They weren’t able to maintain the magic in this second outing.  The three leads were still funny but the Jason Sudekis character wandered into the idiotic personae of Charlie Day’s which meant Jason Bateman was the only sane one in the bunch.  There was still a lot of really funny banter between the three boneheads who now try their hand at kidnapping instead of murder and it goes predictably and very entertainingly south.  Bateman remains the absolute master of the offhand hilarious comment.

This one was nowhere near as funny as the original because the three guys were supposed to be regular Joes caught in a bad situation not of their own making.  Here they are buffoons and a long way from the likable trio of the first film.  The best parts are saved for the supporting characters who are uniformly awesome.  Kevin Spacey in his Shark mode, Jennifer Anniston channeling her naughty side again, Jamie Foxx as MF Jones and new bad boy Chris Pine completely steal the movie and I found myself anxiously waiting for them to reappear on the screen.  Overall, still a funny movie, but the original set the bar too high.

No comments:

Post a Comment