Friday, November 29, 2013

“There’s Just Something Special About Cousins”

I know I’ve written about this before but yesterday was the annual renewal of that declaration with the Thanksgiving gathering of the descendants from my father’s family.  He was the youngest of eight children who produced a startling number of progeny themselves.  Those aunts and uncles were some of the people I admired most growing up, sterling examples of the greatest generation.  The signature gathering of the family was always Thanksgiving.  The in laws were given Christmas but those magnificent brothers and sisters always came together for Thanksgiving in a tradition dating back to before World War 2.

We Sit at Tables Seperated by Age Groups - Kind Of
I'm Getting Ominously Closer to the Top Rung
They’ve all left us now, two in laws remain from that generation, but their legacy was yesterday’s gathering for which I will be eternally grateful.  Since my cousins and I grew up with this annual get together it became something of almost legendary status.  It’s evolved over the years and migrated through a couple states but there is no denying the sheer joy of seeing those cousins you grew up idolizing. 

Daughter, Son in Law and Friend at Younguns Table
There were just over forty of us yesterday in a windswept New Hampshire home but as soon as I walked in the door I knew I was with family.  It’s hard to describe but there’s no awkwardness or adjustment period.  Even though we haven’t been together for a year there’s immediate symmetry and an almost breathless need to catch up with each other.  There’s never enough time to spend with the different cousins who came from as far away as Oregon and Colorado to partake.  Baby pictures of yet another emerging generation as well as a rocking video of a BMX racing cousin competed for time with everybody’s attention careening from cousin to cousin.  There was also a veritable pack of dogs, another family tradition, which added to the benevolent chaos.  It was in other words – Thanksgiving.

I Was at the Tweener Table
One of the family traditions has always been a football game after dinner.  We’ve played in the snow and rain but I don’t think we’ve ever played in a colder environment than yesterday.  I know I’m too old to be out there running around with the trailing two generations but I refuse to give it up.  It would be losing that precious link to the past when I chased down passes from my father at Aunt Margaret’s Baptist Hill home. 
The Game - Dogs Are Always Present and Part of Action

It Was So Friggin COLD!

I'm (Red Shirt) Battling a Favorite Cousin

So Much Fun
Buddy spent the entire time charging from one side of the vast field to  the other and landed a devastating blind side block on another dog who was charging in the other direction (it would have landed him a hefty fine in the NFL).  My daughter and her friend watched the game from the heated car (they even had the seat warmers on) but despite the penetrating cold I could not have been happier (well except when I dropped a sure touchdown pass).
My Son  in Law Shares a Last Name With Another Branch of Family
So We Gathered for a Dual Family Photo Of Those Affiliated
I was heartened (surprised) that so many of the cousins stopped by during the day to say they read this blog.  One even mentioned that my writing reminded her of her father, my father’s brother.  I was so touched because I admired her father more than a little and considered this lofty praise indeed.  I do feel a little intimidated meeting that standard though.  As I creakily (football exertions are not kind to a middle aged body) made my way to the car I performed the annual look to the stars and mouthed a silent thank you to my dad and his incredible siblings for the gift that is this Thanksgiving gathering.

Many of those blog reading cousins asked about Miss Louis and her unbelievable fight against doctor prognostications.   Late last night my sister called to report that Miss Louise had moved beyond her pain and passed away.  This brave lady held out against all odds to confound doctors who said she wouldn’t survive the week almost a month ago.  Her iron will wrapped inside such a gentle exterior allowed her some final cherished time with her beloved family.  They made the most of these last few weeks gathering daily at her bed side.  She knew she wasn’t long for this world but she departed it knowing she was loved intensely.  She and Mr. Peter are together again unfettered by their earthly limitations.  We’re still going to miss both of them beyond the ability of words to convey.
R.I.P. Lady of Iron
Another of our Thanksgiving traditions is to gather at my sister’s house the day after along with Miss Louise’s other children.  My sister assured me they all still wanted to gather, that it would be a good thing, but most of all because it was what Miss Louise would have wanted.

No comments:

Post a Comment