Monday, November 18, 2013

Glide Path

There was no way Sunday stood a chance of standing up to the two preceding days so I went into it with severely diminished expectations.  I have not been able to convince my son of the recuperative qualities of a late night Alka Seltzer so he was in moderate to severe pain yesterday morning following the “epicness” (I know its not a word but it should be) that was the Saturday Pub Crawl.  He took up station on the family room couch to prepare for some Red Zone until Buddy finally coaxed him up for some spirited chases around the house.
My Son in Recovery Mode Yesterday
He was only able to stay for a couple hours of Red Zone where we watched his once vaunted fantasy football team crash and burn in rather spectacular fashion.  I made some burgers that had the entire house reverberating with smoke alarms which Buddy took severe umbrage to.  I reluctantly bid farewell to him as he headed north to minister to the MEF who injured a digit in a flag football game my son blew off to hang out with me.  I’m hoping she forgives me.
The wife and I took an all too brief trip down to Rhode Island later in the day to visit the remarkable Miss Louise.  She continues to rage against the dying of the light in her typical understated fashion.  All the doctors have written her off but I think she’s taking a secret pleasure in proving them wrong and that there’s a spiritual side of life the scientists will never be able to explain away.  She recognized us when we came in and welcomed us with one of her signature smiles.  Although her pain medication soon had her sound asleep it gave us the chance to hang out with her assembled brood, her gift to the world, during their constant vigil at Miss Louise's side.  They are always fun to be around, even under these circumstances. 
After a somnambulant drive through fog and drizzle my wife repaired upstairs (I think novellas were involved) and left me to my own devices (always dangerous).  Since I didn’t care to watch Peyton Manning’s latest self-important statement about how good he is, I dove into one of my birthday presents – Hannibal.  My daughter has been trying to get me into watching this new TV series about the infamous Doctor Hannibal Lector and in exasperation finally gifted me with the first season, so I had to watch. 
It’s a fascinating take as FBI agents chase serial killers with the ultimate evil of Lector flitting around the edge of their efforts as a paid expert.  The whole idea of having this fiend as part of the team and offering plenty of carefully prepared snack food is intriguing.  The dynamic between Will Graham (Hugh Dancy) and Lector (Mads Mikkelson) is fascinating to watch and there’s some pretty gruesome story lines to follow along with some jolting shocks.  In other words I’m hooked, just as she planned.  Be warned this show is not for the faint of heart.
Do Not Go to Dinner With the Guy on the Right

No comments:

Post a Comment