Thursday, November 28, 2013

Diamonds in the Morass

Well, I survived the decent into the Connecticut quagmire yesterday and emerged with the sought after prize – daughter, son in law, and one of their friends.  Connecticut did try to be Connecticut on a number of occasions but I’ve now made this trip so many times over the past few years that we had a response and corresponding “short cut” ready. I almost felt like Patton and yelling, “I READ YOUR BOOK!”  I was ably assisted by first my wife and then the daughter with Google traffic on their I-Phones.  I made the profound statement – “we are leveraging technology!”.  I think I was the only one impressed.

The only thing we didn’t miss was the over turned car sitting in the highway just outside the New Haven train station.  It must have happened just before we arrived because we passed by the same location 15 minutes earlier and it was clean.  It was sad to see the debris from someone’s life strewn across the road.  There were not any ambulances there and no one was in the car so we’re hoping they lucked out.
The Diamonds in the Car - Getting out of NYC Must Have Been Tiring
Connecticut did get one lick in when a rest stop employee helped a Chinese tourist make off with my wife’s umbrella.  He’d seen it sitting on a shelf as a stream of tourists returned to their tour bus.  He convinced the last one that someone had forgotten their umbrella.  I watched all this and was silently commending the guy until my wife emerged and said her umbrella had been absconded with.  The guy offered to pay for it but my wife said not to worry.  I was astounded by her lack of concern for one of her favorite implements of survival.  She blithely reported she wasn’t concerned because the umbrella was one of mine, damn you Connecticut!
Our daughter’s friend had visited several times but had never experienced Zorba’s so you know where we went for dinner.  Since she reads the blog I was a little concerned it would live up to its lofty reputation.  Not to worry – a Zorba’s pizza cannot disappoint and there was a gorgeous waitress sighting.  The friend did turn the tables on me with a sneaky paying of the bill move from a distant seat that I am going to have to add to my repertoire.   
Great Time at Zorba's - Still Trying to Figure Out how She paid From Way Back There
While the rest of America was slowly making their way across the landscape to their Thanksgiving destinations we settled in for a couple of movies and beers (well the beer was mostly my idea).  One of the very best Wednesdays before Thanksgivings, ever.

No comments:

Post a Comment