Friday, November 15, 2013

Implacable March Day

From This
Today’s the annual occasion marking the implacable march of time uncomfortably intruding on my delusions of youth – my birthday.  As I state each year – I’ve collected way too many of these.  I can remember not too long ago thinking 58 was incredibly old but today I’m thinking – maybe not.  I guess it’s a matter of perspective.

I can remember while very young I thought someone my current age was ancient.  It seemed like such a distant fate at the time that I didn’t even pause to consider how fast it would sneak up on me.  I learning a great appreciation of the old phrase - young at heart. 
To This
It’s been an extremely cool day already.  The wife demanded the right to prepare breakfast and then showered me with gifts.  She looks at my birthdays as a great opportunity to pursue her marriage-long practice of dressing up her oversized Ken doll.  So I have a lot of new clothes and thankfully some new pants that fit.  Since I dropped the weight this year I’ve been wearing pants three inches too big in the waist.  My beloved sister in law describes them as looking like a window curtain bunched up around my waist. 

My daughter called first thing and we discussed her gift which arrived yesterday.  A blu ray and two books – talk about getting one into my wheelhouse.  As with most things in life she was right on target.  She also has a much better written blog than I could ever hope to achieve and today she dedicated it to me.  She put together a gif that shows the playoff beard progressing from inception of ultimate destruction.  Check it out at:

I get one of the most looked forward to gifts tonight when my son shows up for the weekend.  Since this is one of the two days a year that my wife is in complete thrall to my wishes (hmmmm – writing that makes it sound kind of seedy but I digress) I’ve declared that tomorrow is an afternoon trip back to my hometown for a pub crawl.  It combines two of the activities I really cherish, returning home and hanging out with friends in a pub.  Oh and there might be a beer or two involved.  I’m hoping a few friends can join us as we meander tomorrow.  Details posted in tomorrow morning's blog.  
To This
YIKES!

No comments:

Post a Comment