Saturday, November 2, 2013

Series Title Celebration Weekend – Latina Event

Last night kicked off the weekend long celebration of the Red Sox World Series title – can’t get enough of saying that!  The wife had blackmailed, ahem, I mean requested, a night of dancing out of me in payment for the Sox title. 
My Extortionist Date Last Night




We started out the night at our regular Friday night haunt – Zorba’s where we once again had the extremely hot waitress to serve their incomparable pizza.  She opined that the lack of beard was a huge improvement so the ego took a semi-big hit.  My wife nodded sagely from across the table.
Beardless in Zorba's
Outside Silverman's Last Night
We then headed for Worcester and Maxwell Silverman’s for dessert (keto vacation day – don’t you know) and dancing.  This is the first time we’ve gone there as a couple instead of a big group and we had a lot of fun.  This is between you guys and me though.  I can’t have the wife learning I actually enjoy going out dancing with her, otherwise we’ll be doing it seven days a week – she’s kind of driven when it comes to dancing.
Lasers and Smoke - 1970's All Over Again
Silverman’s is an interesting place in that it’s mostly a middle aged, singles crowd in the middle of a big college town.  There were at least three egregiously horrible toupees making the rounds. The music was all disco for the first two hours and there was an overactive smoke machine and lasers cooking off left and right.  It was like a time trip back to the late 1970’s. 
My wife, as she is wont to do, dominated the dance floor and ended the night with a couple of well earned blisters.  One of the bad hair piece guys complimented her on her dancing.  I received no such accolades but he did go a little pale when I walked up and put my arm around the wife.  It was a great send off which promises to be a fun weekend; thank God for the recuperative power of Alka Seltzer.
A True Hero is Finally Honored
I would be remiss for not mentioning that the city of Boston finally did the right thing and honored the guy that is truly the greatest hero in the city’s sports history – Bill Russell.  He had kind of a prickly history with city since he led the Celtics to so many championships back in the 1950s and 1960s but yesterday they unveiled a statue to him in the center of the city.  I wrote about the effect meeting him had on a very young version of myself back when I started writing this blog.  It was a reminder of how unwatchable the NBA has become since we lost quality people like Russell to be the face of the league.  Here’s what I wrote:

One of the most memorable experiences of my life occurred when I actually got to sit on the Celtics bench between Sam Jones and Bill Russell. The Celtics were reigning world champs and would tour New England towns during the preseason for practice scrimmages. They came to my home town and my dad took me to the game. All my friends were showing off autographs they got. I didn’t want an autograph but I did want to shake hands with Sam Jones whom I idolized. Near the end of the game I walked over to the Celtics bench during a time out and asked Sam for a handshake. He quickly did that and then told me to sit down next to him on the bench. Bill Russell the player coach at the time and another idol of mine, sat on the other side and we watched the last 90 seconds of the scrimmage game together. I got up dazed and walked back to my father with all my friends looking at me. That was such a special moment and did more to make me an NBA fan than anything else possibly could have. Today I feel betrayed when I look in on the game, I think Sam probably does too.

No comments:

Post a Comment