Friday, August 26, 2022

Suds, Kittens, and a Camel

Our week-long adventure with our two oldest granddaughters draws to a close tomorrow when we are being forced by my Favorite Son and the ABFA to return the BRS to their care. I think we’ve done ourselves proud this week filling the days with activities. I know I’m fairly exhausted if that’s any indicator. We culminated the week with the short drive to the Davis Farmland which is a local treasure. It is a farm loaded with animals to pat, ponies to ride, trampolines to soar with, and a water park featuring a bubble machine. There didn’t seem to be cool places like this when I was a kid, although I’ll always have Benson’s Animal Farm.

Two Very Excited Granddaughters
I’ve relearned another lesson this week about kid-oriented entertainment. They firmly attach a vacuum cleaner to your wallet when you enter and it sucks full blast during the entire time you’re there. Hearing the joy filled laughter of the granddaughters make whatever we paid this week more than worth the financial drain. Today was a great example. I stood in line at the pony ride while my Favorite Panamanian had the granddaughters on the nearby trampolines and bounce house.

Granddaughter Mounted Element

BRS Leading Off

Followed by FBR

Ably Assisted
When the very cute pony ride attendants (wait wasn’t that onerous) finally realized they needed to deploy two ponies instead of one, the line finally moved and the BRS/FBR returned from their soaring to mount up. It was a short ride but they both seemed to relish the opportunity. After purchasing a couple cups of animal food we descended on the goats. This was followed by sheep, chickens, more goats, peacocks, ducks, geese, more goats, a camel, alligator, some baby goats, calves, a large steer, and, you got it, more goats. There were a lot of goat enclosures, in case you missed that.

Goats

Goats

More Goats

And Still More

Large Friendly Cow

BRS Holding, Yep, Another Goat

Meeting the Calves

And Grooming Them

Bunny!
We then came to a conundrum. The girls wore their bathing suits under their clothes in anticipation of the splash pad part of the excursion. They were headed towards that place, spotted in the distance, when they overheard another young girl talking about holding kittens. I was charged with locating this exhibit and we made our way there where we could hold the aforementioned felines, rabbits, and even a ferret. The petting session concluded and we finally arrived at the splash pad. I thought both granddaughters would explode with excitement.

To The Splash Pad






My Favorite Panamanian and I set up at a picnic table for lunch and released the granddaughters into the wild. They soon discovered the bubble machine which covered them in suds which could then be washed off in the dozens of fountains on the splash pad. There was also a dash down a padded runway and then sliding; along with an inflated slide which the soggy kids could slide into the padded walls with abandon. Our granddaughters were in their element. The FBR proclaimed this as the best ‘Granddaughter Day ever” but she is prone to hyperbole.








Quick Break for Lunch

Then Back to the Suds
One movie fell in my A-Z effort, a marginal keeper, Assassins Creed (passable action in the ancient milieu and kept because I have a huge crush on Marion Cotillard).

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

RECURRING CHARACTERS:                                        

ABFA – Amazing Best Family Athlete - my daughter in law; BR3 – Blog Reader #3 – granddaughter #3; BRS - Blog Reader the Sequel - second granddaughter; Cantankerous Friend – friend since grade school who likes to argue about everything, poses as radical leftist to attract women; Curbside Girls – close friends of my daughter acquired during her single days in Brooklyn; Deckzilla – our backyard deck which grew to monstrous dimensions once my wife got involved in planning; Favorite Panamanian - the wife (of course); FBR - First Blog Reader - first granddaughter; First Friday – celebrations to mark the First Friday of the Week; Great Aunt - my elder sister; Keene Friends 1 & 2 – friends since high school from my home town of Keene, NH; Kindergarten Friend – friend since kindergarten whom I reunited with after many years; Maine and Virginia Musqueteras – two close friends of my wife – her US sisters, my wife is the 3rd musquetera (musketeer); Namesake Nephew – son of Great Aunt and Soxfather named after me; Neighborhood Mafioso - wife's close friend and Panamanian mafia member; PanaGals – female relatives /friends of my wife from Panama; Panamanian/Latin Mafia – inevitable group of Latino friends my wife accumulates wherever we have lived & their spouses; Pittsburgh College Roommate– high school friend, also a “Minor Celebrity” in Pittsburgh; Riggins - also known as the Grandpuppy, son's dog; Soxfather - my brother in law; Tia Loca – wife’s younger sister; Wingman – my son in law; Wingmom – Wingman’s mom, of course

No comments:

Post a Comment