Sunday, August 14, 2022

Retiring Gala

One of the early casualties of the Covid pandemic was my retirement party. I envisioned a Deckzilla gathering with friends and family with a smidgeon of the brewer’s art as well. That became impossible with the virus’ arrival. That gaping hole in my social program was renovated to a certain effect and elevated to a very high level, by attending the Neighborhood Mafioso’s retirement party last evening. After searing some dead animal flesh on the grill for our departing guests (see yesterday’s post) my Favorite Panamanian snuck out to assist the Mafioso’s daughter decorate the Auburn VFW function room. I was left to my own devices before I walked across the street to ride to the party with the guest of honor.

The Mafia Table

The Mafioso Surrounded by Family
The rebuilt VFW post is fast becoming one of our favorite places and it served as a fitting locale to honor the mafioso for her more than four decades of service at one of the local hospitals. Her daughter had done a fabulous job setting up the celebration which included nearly a hundred friends and co-workers. A single guy would have done well as the large percentage of guests were female co-workers. As we all know I’ve always had a serious soft spot for nurses so this was a dream situation. Of course, my Favorite Panamanian was along to insure my behavior met my usual, albeit somewhat subterranean, standards of conduct.

A True Legend

Daughter's Tribute Speech
Since the mafiosos were the center of attention and very busy the entire night, we changed tables to join the follow Panamanian Mafia attendees. They provided the usual entertainment and the night was off. Since we are dealing with Panamanians here there was a significant portion of the evening devoted to dancing. The dance floor was full for the entire night. There were very poignant tribute speeches delivered by the mafioso’s daughter and a long-time co-worker. Both captured the spirit and style of the honoree. It was readily apparent how well thought of our friend was with her co-workers. That says a lot about a person and it certainly did here. I was so pleased that our good friend was properly recognized on her special night.

Mafioso and Favorite Panamanian

Non-Stop Dancing
So, a very full weekend and that looks like a trend because the next couple will feature visiting granddaughters for my Favorite Panamanian and I. Let the games begin. You are very welcome that for the first time in a month I haven’t mentioned he backyard project. Whoops, I guess I just did.

FBR at her New Favorite Place - the Pool

Then There was yet Another B-Day Party at Mr. Cheese's
One movie fell in my A-Z effort, a keeper: Angel has Fallen (Butler and Nolte, an interesting action duo)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

RECURRING CHARACTERS:                                        

ABFA – Amazing Best Family Athlete - my daughter in law; BR3 – Blog Reader #3 – granddaughter #3; BRS - Blog Reader the Sequel - second granddaughter; Cantankerous Friend – friend since grade school who likes to argue about everything, poses as radical leftist to attract women; Curbside Girls – close friends of my daughter acquired during her single days in Brooklyn; Deckzilla – our backyard deck which grew to monstrous dimensions once my wife got involved in planning; Favorite Panamanian - the wife (of course); FBR - First Blog Reader - first granddaughter; First Friday – celebrations to mark the First Friday of the Week; Great Aunt - my elder sister; Keene Friends 1 & 2 – friends since high school from my home town of Keene, NH; Kindergarten Friend – friend since kindergarten whom I reunited with after many years; Maine and Virginia Musqueteras – two close friends of my wife – her US sisters, my wife is the 3rd musquetera (musketeer); Namesake Nephew – son of Great Aunt and Soxfather named after me; Neighborhood Mafioso - wife's close friend and Panamanian mafia member; PanaGals – female relatives /friends of my wife from Panama; Panamanian/Latin Mafia – inevitable group of Latino friends my wife accumulates wherever we have lived & their spouses; Pittsburgh College Roommate– high school friend, also a “Minor Celebrity” in Pittsburgh; Riggins - also known as the Grandpuppy, son's dog; Soxfather - my brother in law; Tia Loca – wife’s younger sister; Wingman – my son in law; Wingmom – Wingman’s mom, of course

No comments:

Post a Comment