Monday, February 8, 2021

Truly Super Weekend

True to my word I went nowhere near the computer this weekend as we drove north to celebrate the BRS’ third birthday. To protect me from myself, I left this cursedly addictive object back in the Man Cave. My Favorite Panamanian and I arrived Saturday morning. My wife and the birthday girl immediately engaged in decorating a special birthday cake together. The BRS wanted a princess themed cake and after several hours over the week scrutinizing what the internet had to offer, my wife arrived with a plan. She used coated ice cream cones for towers and a liberal amount of candy. The candy was more than enough inducement to keep the BSR focused on the task at hand.

Son & ABFA Surrounding the Birthday Girl
We had to don masks later in the day when the ABFA’s parents arrived since they are outside our designated safe group. It was a small price to pay to finally be able to hang out with these splendid people. It was quickly established that the ABFA’s dad is the BRS’ favorite person in the world. It was fun to watch them playing together. BR3 took all the action swirling around her with her usual equanimity. I contented myself to hanging out with my son which is one of my most cherished activities. I even went with him to the grocery store without complaining, evidence enough.

BRS Garbed Up for Cake Prep

With an Assistant

Masters at Work

Candy Decorations Added



The Culinary Team

Grandparent Team
The ladies prepared a truly memorable birthday meal which was followed by the immolation of the candles arrayed on my wife’s culinary creation. Bonecrusher was deployed with my son handling the delicate task of having a freshly minted three-year-old wielding a three-foot-long broadsword. The BRS took to it like the proverbial fish to water and the cake was soon sundered. I managed an end run while my Favorite Panamanian was changing BR3’s diaper to secure a second helping of the cake. When my wife returned, she said she had relented for an earlier expressed opinion that I shouldn’t have a second piece. Since I had already disposed of the evidence of my illicitly gained confectionary, I was ready to go for thirds until both my son and I broke out laughing. My wife then demanded an accounting of the size of the piece from my son, who assured it was miniscule (of course it wasn’t!).

Cake Designer Extraordinaire

Her & BRS Creation

BR3 with ABFA's Mom

Cake Being Sized up for Demolition

BR3 With Crowned Grampa

The Team Again
We then prepared from what was sure to be a marathon session of gift opening since it took the BRS nearly a week to open her Christmas gifts. In a sign she really is getting older though, she surprised us by opening all the presents in one sitting. We FaceTimed in the New Jersey bunch and the FBR closely monitored the gifting process. BR3 seemed particularly interested in this part of the event. I imagined some miniature wheels turning in her head making the connection with the tearing of brightly colored paper to reveal toys and other gifts. Of course, I could have misinterpreted what was a really pleasing diaper filling event.

Our Hosts

BR3 in Full Charming Mode with other Grandparents

Party Girl

Bonecrusher Tutorial From Dad

Approaching the Target





The ABFA’s folks sadly had to leave which ended this brief glimpse of what life (absent the masking protocols of course) was like prior to Covid’s arrival. We were staying overnight and sleeping in the recently added new bedroom at the top of the house. The room offered a spectacular view of the neighborhood from the hilltop house. Unfortunately, there were no drapes yet, so we changed clothes in the spacious closets at my wife’s insistence. We didn’t want to make enemies of our son’s neighbors.

Daddy Daughter Time

Gift Opening

Newest Unicorn

New Table for BRS - One of her Gifts

Son & His Family

Abuela Mesmerizing BR3

Hanging with Gramps

Test Driving New Toys with Mom

That Cake Again
Sunday was a fun, albeit kind of lazy day leading up to the Super Bowl. A snow storm came in during the day which had caused me to question whether I should stay or not but then I was reminded I am a proud son of New England. A six-inch snow storm should not defer any plans, well that and four wheel drive. At the heigh to of the storm the ABFA and I squired the BRS outside to play. She and Riggins love playing in the snow and there was plenty of it. I was tasked with towing her on her sled. She loved it although I was less enthusiastic since, unlike my granddaughter, I couldn’t walk on top of the crusted snow and driving to get up a head of steam while crashing through knee deep snow can tax 65-year-old knees that have serious miles on them. I’m here to tell ya.

Unicorn Fashion Statement

And Then Some

Someone is Very Happy
Since my granddaughter was having so much fun, I kept doing it as long as she was laughing. We set out to explore some snow forts the neighborhood kids had constructed in the traffic circle in front of the house. I decided to forego the climb over the snow bank as my knee was barking a  little bit after my sleigh runs. The BRS quickly figured out what the concept was and started patching holes in snow fort walls with crust left over from the original builders. My Favorite Panamanian monitored all this from the inside wondering why anyone would volunteer to go out, voluntarily, into the cold. She is not from New England, in oh so many ways. This may have been the most fun I’ve ever had with my second granddaughter.

Snow Bunny

Unfortunate Grandpa Towing Incident

Snow Fort!!

My Wife's View

ABFA with her Back to Camera Watching
Grandpa and BRS Slide
I’m so glad we hung around to watch the Super Bowl with my son and the ABFA. We were rooting for Mr. Brady with his new team because, well, we kind of owe him for the first six championships. If the Patriots weren’t going to be in it then we had Brady and Gronk to root for. Brady came out in complete assassin mode and the Chiefs ran into a defense they just could not figure out. Again, it was so much fun to share the night with them. My wife’s lifelong football tutorial continued and the commercials were roundly critiqued. For the first time ever the best commercials were in in the second half, with a Bruce Springsteen one about unity, a Paralympic swimmer adoption, and making 2020 a lemon of a year being my three favorites.

ABFA and BR3

BRS Staring into the Birthday Abyss

Grandpa and BRS Choosing a Really Poor Hiding Place
During Hide and Seek Game

Abuela with Sparkling Lessons

Gearing up for Super Bowl with Son & Riggins
The fun came to a crashing halt after the game when we had to leave. The ABFA had partially cleared most of the snow off the car and the storm had pretty much passed. The roads were fine once we reached the interstate and we actually made good time getting home. We pulled in just before midnight and found the driveway blocked as Worcester had received a lot more snow than forecast. I endeared myself to he neighbors by firing up the snow blower to clear a path into the garage. The prior weeks snow had fallen from the solar panels which added to the mess since they had frozen to the driveway before the snow fell. Still nothing could dim the warm glow of a weekend spent in the company of the people I’m blessed to call family.-----
Now Grandpa What is this Hot Chocolate You've Been Talking About?
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

RECURRING CHARACTERS                                           

BR3 – granddaughter #3, BRS - Blog Reader the Sequel - second granddaughter; FBR - First Blog Reader - first granddaughter, ABFA – Amazing Best Family Athlete = my daughter in law; Wingman – my son in law; Keene Friends 1 & 2 – friends since high school from my home town of Keene, NH; Soxfather - my brother in law; Great Aunt - my elder sister; Cantankerous Friend – friend since grade school who likes to argue about everything, poses as radical leftist to attract women; Kindergarten Friend – friend since kindergarten whom I reunited with after many years; Pittsburgh College Roommate – high school friend, also a “Minor Celebrity” in Pittsburgh; Deckzilla – our backyard deck which grew to monstrous dimensions once my wife got involved in planning; Maine and Virginia Musqueteras – two close friends of my wife – her US sisters, my wife is the 3rd musquetera (musketeer); Riggins - also known as the Grandpuppy, son's dog; PanaGals – female relatives /friends of my wife from Panama; Panamanian/Latin Mafia – inevitable group of Latino friends my wife accumulates wherever we have lived & their spouses; Neighborhood Mafioso - wife's close friend and Panamanian mafia member, Favorite Panamanian - the wife (of course); First Friday – celebrations to mark the First Friday of the Week; Curbside Girls – close friends of my daughter acquired during her single days in Brooklyn

No comments:

Post a Comment