Thursday, February 18, 2021

Scale Experienced

I cringed when I decided to live in the People’s Republic of Taxxachusetts after retiring from the Army. I grew up in New Hampshire where we considered our southern neighbor akin to a Soviet province. New Hampshire has changed over the subsequent years as many of those very liberal types moved to southern New Hampshire to escape the one-party rule only to bring many of their associated problems with them. We called them “tax refugees” and complained they were bringing those problems, associated with their political leanings, they were fleeing with them. The truth, of course, was a lot more nuanced, but it gave us something to complain about. In due course I grew up (well at least got older) and acquiesced to living in what I considered a benighted land.

Screenshot that Greeted Me This Morning
In a huge surprise it turned out I enjoyed living here. The taxes aren’t oppressive, especially compared to New Hampshire property taxes, and they don’t tax my military pension. I have made my peace at living in a one-party state and seeing the inherent foolishness that sometimes produces, such as the political quagmire that is the MBTA. I’ve generally been supportive and appreciative of the Republican governor, Charlie Baker, over his term, except for his lack of understanding about mass transit issues. That ended today when I experienced the total and complete ineptitude of his administration on a scale that is hard to fathom.

I Also Get This One a Lot
I was pleasantly surprised to hear that I would become eligible for the Covid vaccine today, along with about a million other state residents. The governor crowed about the rollout and bragged that his website would be up to the task. I was worried because he made a point of telling people the appointments would be available at 8am this morning. I didn’t think that was especially smart since that would cause immense demand at the same time. The governor was questioned about this and told the cameras that they were prepared. They weren’t. I’ve been trying to book an appointment for three hours now and while the sites have been up and down all morning, more often than not I get a message that the site has crashed. I compare this to what I’m hearing out of New Hampshire where a number of my friends have successfully booked and received their vaccines. Living in the People’s Republic has finally caught up with me.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

RECURRING CHARACTERS                                           

BR3 – granddaughter #3, BRS - Blog Reader the Sequel - second granddaughter; FBR - First Blog Reader - first granddaughter, ABFA – Amazing Best Family Athlete = my daughter in law; Wingman – my son in law; Keene Friends 1 & 2 – friends since high school from my home town of Keene, NH; Soxfather - my brother in law; Great Aunt - my elder sister; Cantankerous Friend – friend since grade school who likes to argue about everything, poses as radical leftist to attract women; Kindergarten Friend – friend since kindergarten whom I reunited with after many years; Pittsburgh College Roommate – high school friend, also a “Minor Celebrity” in Pittsburgh; Deckzilla – our backyard deck which grew to monstrous dimensions once my wife got involved in planning; Maine and Virginia Musqueteras – two close friends of my wife – her US sisters, my wife is the 3rd musquetera (musketeer); Riggins - also known as the Grandpuppy, son's dog; PanaGals – female relatives /friends of my wife from Panama; Panamanian/Latin Mafia – inevitable group of Latino friends my wife accumulates wherever we have lived & their spouses; Neighborhood Mafioso - wife's close friend and Panamanian mafia member, Favorite Panamanian - the wife (of course); First Friday – celebrations to mark the First Friday of the Week; Curbside Girls – close friends of my daughter acquired during her single days in Brooklyn

No comments:

Post a Comment