Thursday, November 26, 2020

Turkey Day 2020 Style

That, of course, means quarantined in the middle of Pandemia. Long time readers of Frail Deeds know this is my second favorite time of year, closely behind Christmas. I am therefore in a bit of a funk as I will be denied sitting around the table with my fabulous cousins from my Father’s Family as well as the day after Thanksgiving party at Great Aunt and Soxfather’s house. It will only be my Favorite Panamanian and I at our table but I refused to compromise standards and go with a small turkey. I’m currently waiting for the 23-pound beast to finish cooking.

The Pie Cooking Team
Showing Some Attitude

Speaking of those Rhode Island worthies, Great Aunt and Soxfather, they made special trip up to Worcester yesterday for the sole purpose of dropping of one of Great Aunt’s legendary jello molds. That has been part of every holiday meal for the past couple decades and my wife was complaining earlier in the week that we would have to go without. Luckily the family is psychically connected and the cosmos must have delivered a message to Great Aunt.

The Jello Mold Delivery Team 

They had to stay outside and distanced which was hard because I so wanted to hug them after going so long without seeing them. They also dropped off some birthday gifts which is a landmark event for my sister since I received them in the same calendar year as my birthday. I could see why the quarantine is needed though because I know there was no way I could social distance if I spent any more time around these worthies.

Proud Cook

My daughter had the day off yesterday so she and the FBR baked homemade pies. They were brimming with deserved pride during our call last night when the pecan pie was put to the test and pronounced legendary. We also had a very funny moment with the FBR who said she had to tell my wife a secret. The secret was she wanted my wife to hide the whoopie pies I had in the fridge. When my wife told her that could get her in trouble with me the FBR blithely responded with, “Abuela – you are in charge of him, so don’t worry”. I was listening to the entire exchange and couldn’t stop laughing (partly because it’s true) This morning the FBR called and revealed the secret . When I told her this sounded more like one of her plans and that I was gong to ask my wife. As I approached the room the FBR started yelling at her abuela to take credit for the plan. Since we can deny our granddaughter nothing, my wife copped the plea and received a thumbs up from the FBR. The girl is going to be formidable.

BR3 This Morning

Enough Hair for Mini-Mohawk

My son and his family travelled to the ABFA’ s parents for a family Thanksgiving there. They have set up tables in the garage on this very rainy day to attempt some social distancing. BR3 was incredibly charming wearing a dress last seen on the ABFA in a picture we have of her at the same age. The BRS managed to say happy Thanksgiving to us despite climbing all over her other grandpa. It’s part of the job description.


So, Happy Thanksgiving everybody, especially to those I am really missing this year. This will only make next year’s Thanksgiving celebration something truly extraordinary!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

RECURRING CHARACTERS                                            

BR3 – granddaughter #3, BRS - Blog Reader the Sequel - second granddaughter; FBR - First Blog Reader - first granddaughter, ABFA – Amazing Best Family Athlete = my daughter in law; Wingman – my son in law; Keene Friends 1 & 2 – friends since high school from my home town of Keene, NH; Soxfather - my brother in law; Great Aunt - my elder sister; Cantankerous Friend – friend since grade school who likes to argue about everything, poses as radical leftist to attract women; Kindergarten Friend – friend since kindergarten whom I reunited with after many years; Pittsburgh College Roommate – high school friend, also a “Minor Celebrity” in Pittsburgh; Deckzilla – our backyard deck which grew to monstrous dimensions once my wife got involved in planning; Maine and Virginia Musqueteras – two close friends of my wife – her US sisters, my wife is the 3rd musquetera (musketeer); Riggins - also known as the Grandpuppy, son's dog; PanaGals – female relatives /friends of my wife from Panama; Panamanian/Latin Mafia – inevitable group of Latino friends my wife accumulates wherever we have lived & their spouses; Neighborhood Mafioso - wife's close friend and Panamanian mafia member, Favorite Panamanian - the wife (of course); First Friday – celebrations to mark the First Friday of the Week; Curbside Girls – close friends of my daughter acquired during her single days in Brooklyn

No comments:

Post a Comment