Wednesday, November 25, 2020

Puzzling Setback

I just returned from my latest post-surgical checkup and it was all good news – well except for the normal parking lot being closed and a frantic parking search that resulted. My latest PSA test was less than .01% which was great news, indicating the cancer was eradicated. Since the PSA test was the start of my journey that eventually led to the September surgery, I was psyched to hear that news. I go back again in three months for the next checkup.

BR3 Wearing her Latest Meal

And Loving it
I am in a quandary with my daughter and the FBR’s latest birthday gift. I wrote earlier about their evil grins when I complained about the difficulty of the puzzle they gave me, appropriately titled – Night, since it was simply a picture of the nighttime sky. I don’t like admitting defeat and, to be perfectly clear, I am not admitting that now. However, it became too frustrating to continue to pursue it this point. Nearly identical pieces, all shaped the same way, that fit too easily where they shouldn’t, was more maddening than enjoyable. I transferred the completed part of the puzzle to a tray where it will await a time where I am more disposed to self-immolation. My daughter was apologetic but the FBR could not keep an evil, satisfied smirk off her face. I’m guessing she now feels that she is the true family puzzle master.


As Far As I Got
BR3 continued her initial exploration of solid food and wears her food at least as well as her cousins did at the same age. She was not a fan of apples but loved prunes. Yechh! That must come from the ABFA’s side of the gene pool. Speaking of gene pools, I can’t help but curse 2020 again for preventing one of the most cherished times of year for me, Thanksgiving. We’re doing the right thing and staying home with a solitary holiday for just my Favorite Panamanian and I. I’ve written in prior years about the gathering of relatives from my father’s family. A celebration that has been going on from before World War 2.

For Another Day
It was gnawing at my soul that I wouldn’t be seeing those wonderful cousins this year as this is usually the only time in the year I get to see them. That was assuaged to a certain degree with an email yesterday where there will be a zoom call where we can at least see each other and sing the doxology together at the time we usually sit down to dinner each year. An hour later we’ll do the same thing with a family Facetime call with my two kids’ families. 2020 can try but family is stronger than anything it can throw at us.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

RECURRING CHARACTERS                                           

BR3 – granddaughter #3, BRS - Blog Reader the Sequel - second granddaughter; FBR - First Blog Reader - first granddaughter, ABFA – Amazing Best Family Athlete = my daughter in law; Wingman – my son in law; Keene Friends 1 & 2 – friends since high school from my home town of Keene, NH; Soxfather - my brother in law; Great Aunt - my elder sister; Cantankerous Friend – friend since grade school who likes to argue about everything, poses as radical leftist to attract women; Kindergarten Friend – friend since kindergarten whom I reunited with after many years; Pittsburgh College Roommate – high school friend, also a “Minor Celebrity” in Pittsburgh; Deckzilla – our backyard deck which grew to monstrous dimensions once my wife got involved in planning; Maine and Virginia Musqueteras – two close friends of my wife – her US sisters, my wife is the 3rd musquetera (musketeer); Riggins - also known as the Grandpuppy, son's dog; PanaGals – female relatives /friends of my wife from Panama; Panamanian/Latin Mafia – inevitable group of Latino friends my wife accumulates wherever we have lived & their spouses; Neighborhood Mafioso - wife's close friend and Panamanian mafia member, Favorite Panamanian - the wife (of course); First Friday – celebrations to mark the First Friday of the Week; Curbside Girls – close friends of my daughter acquired during her single days in Brooklyn

No comments:

Post a Comment