Friday, November 27, 2020

Expectations Completely but Barely Managed

I survived Thanksgiving without seeing cousins or family in person. It was a close-run thing and something I sincerely hope I will never have to do again. The saving grace was technology. The cousins from my father’s family set up a mass zoom call that cooked off at the same time we usually sit down for Thanksgiving dinner with each other, in less covidious times. It was magical. It was funny to see all us boomers trying to log on and having the younger generation guiding us through it. We had cousins from Oregon, Florida, West Virginia, Washington, Virginia, Massachusetts, Maine, Connecticut, and probably a couple other places I am forgetting as well as the usual gathering place in New Hampshire. It was truly medicinal to see these faces as they were what I was missing most about not making this annual pilgrimage north.

Way Too Much Food

The Cousin Zoom Call
There was that instant sense of family and comfort with these people even though we haven’t seen each other for a year that always comes when I walk in the door up in New Hampshire on Thanksgiving. It was a poor substitute for being in person together but it was a substitute and very welcome. The plan was to sing the traditional doxology together but the only ones who managed that were the people up in New Hampshire. Seeing all these faces made the day bearable and renewed determination to reinvigorate the gathering for next year. I always think of it as a tribute to the aunts and uncles who made this assembly such an event. I think they would have been proud to see their “kids” (even though some are approaching 80) strive to maintain contact on turkey day. Next year in New Hampshire and this zoom call validates attendance for this year!

The Bird - Came out Perfect!

Ready to Start Carving

I think we're Gong to Need a Bigger Platter

Buddy's Favorite Time of Year
During the call, I was in the midst of preparing a much larger Thanksgiving dinner than was warranted, since it was just for my Favorite Panamanian and I, but I wasn’t going to compromise standards simply for the lack of people. That, and I love leftover turkey. I was rushing to the finish line because we had arranged another video linkup at 2pm for my kids as well as Great Aunt and Soxfather. I was still carving the turkey when the time rolled around but soon learned I was ahead of the other guys. My other sister also called around this time and I was able to listen in as she talked with my wife while turkey slices flew around the kitchen. It was yet another time I was reminded about the lack of Buddy to police up the debris. Soon everyone was seated around their respective dinner tables enjoying the food and distant comradery. Wingman was a little late to the call because he was learning the vagaries of cooking his first ever turkey, they never follow the recommended times.

Son and his Family Yesterday

ABFA and BR3
My son and his gang couldn’t join us because they were eating their dinner in the ABFA’s parents’ garage in order to be socially distant. Once again, technology was a savior as it really felt as if I was sitting around the table with these most cherished of all peoples. Namesake Nephew was at the table down in Rhode Island and getting in trouble for giving the dog tidbits. I found it ironic that his mother, Great Aunt, was the one trying to chastise him for she is one of the most notorious dog spoilers currently walking the earth.

Our Mission, Which we Decided to Accept

My Favorite Panamanian Enjoying her Dinner

Tryptophan Here I come
I made a semi-gallant effort to eat as much of the displayed food as I could. It bordered on gluttony but we’ve all earned such a repast in 2020. The problems with my serious intake of turkey was the sleep-inducing effects when combined with the incredible amount of food I consumed. I was slipping into a Tryptophan coma when the call ended. After awakening on the living room couch an hour later I found my Favorite Panamanian had almost finished cleaning up – so – win! This is the normal breakdown of responsibilities for holiday meals, I prepare them and she cleans up the disaster I have created in the kitchen.

FaceTime With Our Turkey

Great Aunt Enjoying Daughter and FBR Silliness
So, again, technology saved my Thanksgiving because I could see all the missed faces as well as the voices. I’m also trying not to remind myself today that right now I should be loading the car with grandchildren and Keene Friend to travel to Great Aunt’s house for the most anticipated party of the year. Again, next year will be truly epic. As Namesake Nephew remarked yesterday, “There’s a Coors 30-pack with both our names on it”. That’s convenient since we share the same name, but I digress. We will have the weekly First Friday Family Facetime call this afternoon which will help chase the blues of missing yet another classic event.  

Missed Having these Gals Around this Weekend
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

RECURRING CHARACTERS                                            

BR3 – granddaughter #3, BRS - Blog Reader the Sequel - second granddaughter; FBR - First Blog Reader - first granddaughter, ABFA – Amazing Best Family Athlete = my daughter in law; Wingman – my son in law; Keene Friends 1 & 2 – friends since high school from my home town of Keene, NH; Soxfather - my brother in law; Great Aunt - my elder sister; Cantankerous Friend – friend since grade school who likes to argue about everything, poses as radical leftist to attract women; Kindergarten Friend – friend since kindergarten whom I reunited with after many years; Pittsburgh College Roommate – high school friend, also a “Minor Celebrity” in Pittsburgh; Deckzilla – our backyard deck which grew to monstrous dimensions once my wife got involved in planning; Maine and Virginia Musqueteras – two close friends of my wife – her US sisters, my wife is the 3rd musquetera (musketeer); Riggins - also known as the Grandpuppy, son's dog; PanaGals – female relatives /friends of my wife from Panama; Panamanian/Latin Mafia – inevitable group of Latino friends my wife accumulates wherever we have lived & their spouses; Neighborhood Mafioso - wife's close friend and Panamanian mafia member, Favorite Panamanian - the wife (of course); First Friday – celebrations to mark the First Friday of the Week; Curbside Girls – close friends of my daughter acquired during her single days in Brooklyn

No comments:

Post a Comment