Monday, November 9, 2020

Pandemic Party Planning

This should be high morale time as we head into what is the start of my favorite time of year, party wise. The FBR’s birthday is Wednesday followed by my own on Sunday and Great Aunt’s on Monday. This should be followed shortly by the multi-day Thanksgiving holiday cerebrations, first with my father’s family up in New Hampshire followed by one of the most anticipated parties of the year on the day after Thanksgiving at Great Aunt’s house. This is all preliminary to the main event of the year and my personal favorite – Christmas. But. This. Is. 2020.

We won’t be traveling to New Jersey for the FBR’s birthday, which is painful to consider. This will be her first birthday cake she doesn’t get to cut with one of my swords. This could lead to long term psychological damage. My annual birthday pub crawl is in serious danger. I’ve already told my son I didn’t want him to chance it. I have a spy deeply embedded in my hometown’s social scene and he has been feeding me a steady stream of intel on the hometown bar status. The annual schedule will be reduced and there is a limit of six people per table so really scaled down. My Favorite Panamanian is definitely not supporting a go decision for this event and it would be a long walk home from Keene but I hate to give the tradition up, even if it is vastly altered down. I don’t know how many of these I have left.

The family Thanksgiving parties are definitely out. I’m hoping we can arrange something at our house for just the kids but even that is looking less and less likely. I’m not going to let 2020 ruin Christmas. I will find a way to get everyone at the house for Christmas even if I have to invest in bubble outfits. Everyone will need the Christmas gathering to remember who we are and what is important in life – each other.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

RECURRING CHARACTERS                                           

BR3 – granddaughter #3, BRS - Blog Reader the Sequel - second granddaughter; FBR - First Blog Reader - first granddaughter, ABFA – Amazing Best Family Athlete = my daughter in law; Wingman – my son in law; Keene Friends 1 & 2 – friends since high school from my home town of Keene, NH; Soxfather - my brother in law; Great Aunt - my elder sister; Cantankerous Friend – friend since grade school who likes to argue about everything, poses as radical leftist to attract women; Pittsburgh College Roommate – high school friend, also a “Minor Celebrity” in Pittsburgh; Deckzilla – our backyard deck which grew to monstrous dimensions once my wife got involved in planning; Maine and Virginia Musqueteras – two close friends of my wife – her US sisters, my wife is the 3rd musquetera (musketeer); Riggins - also known as the Grandpuppy, son's dog; PanaGals – female relatives /friends of my wife from Panama; Panamanian/Latin Mafia – inevitable group of Latino friends my wife accumulates wherever we have lived & their spouses; Neighborhood Mafioso - wife's close friend and Panamanian mafia member, Favorite Panamanian - the wife (of course); First Friday – celebrations to mark the First Friday of the Week; Curbside Girls – close friends of my daughter acquired during her single days in Brooklyn

No comments:

Post a Comment