Wednesday, December 4, 2019

Solar Reveal


It was gratifying to see the sun reappear yesterday afternoon for the first time since this past Saturday. I have it on good authority that it was up there the whole time but the weather over the past few days reminded me of the months long immersions under clouds that made living in Germany all those years ago so delightful (well there were the English gals to recompense but I digress). The snow stopped on schedule yesterday after dumping north of fifteen inches on Worcester, a bigger storm than we had all of last winter. I was gratified to see my fellow New Englanders burrowing their way out and getting on with their lives. Something like this would have paralyzed our nation’s capital region for at least a week. It’s a good thing my Favorite Panamanian has flown south because she would have been cooped up in the house all week since I’ve needed to use her 4 wheel drive car to get to work each day.
Goofy FBR Garbed Up for Breakfast Today
Speaking of that worthy she finally arrived in her home town to surprise her mother ahead of Sunday’s Mother’s Day. Her mother was understandably moved and was smiling continuously when we connected last night. She did promise to hit me upside the head the next time I saw her for keeping this a secret from her. I think (hope) she was kidding. I’d like to thank those of you in Panamá who read the blog for keeping this a secret. My wife promised some photos but hasn’t been able to convince her aging phone to make that happen yet.
BRS, Like her Abuela
Likes her Snow Inside

Moving Up a Class 
All of the Facetime calls came at the same time last evening, shortly after I came inside from my latest snow blowing exercise. The winds have finally died down so the snow should stay out of the driveway for a while. The BRS has moved up a class in day care where she was reunited with one of her best buddies who had moved up ahead of her. The ABFA reported that this was noticeably welcome by the BRS who celebrated by taking an abnormally long nap.
FBR With Her Minimal Amount of Snow
The FBR was trying to talk trash with me about her meager New Jersey snowfall. She was cavorting in about three inches of snow and claiming how much it was. Not one to take this lying down I correctly pointed out that I had more than five times as much snow and sent her a Deckzilla photo to prove it. She was prepared to continue the argument until I promised to construct a snow fort with her the next time she came up. She seemed very intrigued by this possibility. My back already hurts, how do I let myself get talked into these things!
Talking Trash
My Deckzilla Response

Dateless date night had me returning for an adult level film for the first time in a couple weeks with Knives Out.  Clever. That’s the word I’m searching for because this flick was that as well as a serious amount of fun. Director Rian Johnson takes the well-trod murder mystery film milieu and makes it his own with a serious stock of red herrings as well as well-turned twists. 007 displays a serious southern drawl flawlessly as a private eye charged with solving the murder/suicide of a prominent mystery novelist. How this guy got any work in New England with that accent is one of the unanswered mysteries. The rest of the very talented cast delivers as well as the totally dysfunctional family of the victim. There are some real laugh out loud moments as the pieces come together assisted by what must be the first use of a projectile vomiting lie detector. Trust me – it works. It’s the kind of movie I want to see again right away so I can spot the clues that I missed. A very entertaining and grown-up mystery. I loved it.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
RECURRING CHARACTERS                                           
BRS - Blog Reader the Sequel - second granddaughter; FBR - First Blog Reader - first granddaughter, ABFA – Amazing Best Family Athlete = my daughter in law; Wingman – my son in law; Keene Friends 1 & 2 – friends since high school from my home town of Keene, NH; Soxfather - my brother in law; Great Aunt = my elder sister; Cantankerous Friend – friend since grade school who likes to argue about everything, poses as radical leftist to attract women; Pittsburgh College Roommate – high school friend, also a “Minor Celebrity” in Pittsburgh; Deckzilla – our backyard deck which grew to monstrous dimensions once my wife got involved in planning; Maine and Virginia Musqueteras – two close friends of my wife – her US sisters, my wife is the 3rd musquetera (musketeer); Riggins - also known as the Grandpuppy, son's dog, surrogate grandchild while awaiting arrival of the BRS; PanaGals – female relatives/friends of my wife from Panama; Panamanian/Latin Mafia – inevitable group of Latino friends my wife accumulates wherever we have lived & their spouses; Neighborhood Mafioso - wife's close friend and Panamanian mafia member, Favorite Panamanian - the wife (of course); First Friday – celebrations to mark the First Friday of the Week; Deckzilla Dude – senior citizen carpenter/contractor; Voices of Inappropriate Worth - members of public who come to every Worcester public meeting to complain, all are on public assistance along with demeanor issues

No comments:

Post a Comment