Thursday, December 5, 2019

Lab Luck

Much Happier this Time Out
I seem to be on a hot streak for medical malfeasance. A few weeks ago I showed up for a dental appointment to find the place locked up. Next week I have my annual physical so yesterday I made the obligatory trek to the lab to get the pre-physical blood drawn. I showed up after really missing the breakfast meal, I mean, really missing. I hate the whole fasting requirement. I walked in and was about to be buzzed through the door to the lab when the receptionist said no one was in yet and could I please wait. About ten minutes later she apologized and said no one was going to be in the lab today and could I come back tomorrow. The one thing I hate more than fasting is having to do it two days in a row. If I was a staunch republican or radical liberal I’m sure I would assume this is some form vast conspiracy to deny me health care.
BRS with her Best Bud

Reading with Abuela over Weekend

Actually a Cell Phone - But that Still Counts

In Charge
The BRS wanted nothing to do with me last night during my call with my son. She was coming off a triumph at school picture day. Earlier efforts in this arena had resulted in what was charitably called “the mug shot” as the BRS glared at the camera. This time – as evidenced here the camera caught her much more lively side. If nothing else in my life I’m responsible for beautiful granddaughters. I also caught the reception the ABFA received when she came in as the BRS made a dead sprint to the door to greet her. I assumed the ABFA was just getting home from work but my son revealed she’d been outside for all of about 45 seconds. I guess the BRS was trying to send a message. I heard later from my Favorite Panamanian that the BRS absolutely charmed her great grandmother during their call.
The FBR remains in high form, buoyed by her three inches of snow. I caught up with her at dinner time where she was eating still wearing her parka. Wingman said she had to be convinced to come in from playing in the snow with a promise she could return outside as soon as she finished dinner. The FBR is no fool and demanded she be allowed to wear her gear during the meal. She also had some very definite ideas/guidance for me on building a snow man during her next visit. I call it the Frozen/Olaf effect.
BRS Waking to Challenge the Day

Why Do I Think She's Assessing it as a Weapon

True New Englander

Loves the Snow



I was back at the movies last night in reaction to the decidedly empty house and saw 21 Bridges. This is a fairly straight forward cop movie elevated by the Black Panther himself, Chadwick Boseman. He truly hoists what could have been silly otherwise. He’s charged with finding two killers who just offed seven NYC cops and chooses to close off the island of Manhattan to do it. Those of you who’ve been to the Big Apple will understand how inane that premise is but let’s go with it. Sienna Miller is glammed down to play his partner. I would have loved this movie except for the musical score. It was so jarring and amateurish as to distract from the movie itself. I think that defines failure for whoever was responsible for it. It felt like a 1970’s TV movie musical score was copied and then amped up at precisely the wrong moments throughout. Despite this almost constant irritation it’s easy to engage with Boseman as the lone knight fighting in a sea of corruption. Good flick.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
RECURRING CHARACTERS                                           
BRS - Blog Reader the Sequel - second granddaughter; FBR - First Blog Reader - first granddaughter, ABFA – Amazing Best Family Athlete = my daughter in law; Wingman – my son in law; Keene Friends 1 & 2 – friends since high school from my home town of Keene, NH; Soxfather - my brother in law; Great Aunt = my elder sister; Cantankerous Friend – friend since grade school who likes to argue about everything, poses as radical leftist to attract women; Pittsburgh College Roommate – high school friend, also a “Minor Celebrity” in Pittsburgh; Deckzilla – our backyard deck which grew to monstrous dimensions once my wife got involved in planning; Maine and Virginia Musqueteras – two close friends of my wife – her US sisters, my wife is the 3rd musquetera (musketeer); Riggins - also known as the Grandpuppy, son's dog, surrogate grandchild while awaiting arrival of the BRS; PanaGals – female relatives/friends of my wife from Panama; Panamanian/Latin Mafia – inevitable group of Latino friends my wife accumulates wherever we have lived & their spouses; Neighborhood Mafioso - wife's close friend and Panamanian mafia member, Favorite Panamanian - the wife (of course); First Friday – celebrations to mark the First Friday of the Week; Deckzilla Dude – senior citizen carpenter/contractor; Voices of Inappropriate Worth - members of public who come to every Worcester public meeting to complain, all are on public assistance along with demeanor issues

No comments:

Post a Comment