Monday, December 30, 2019

Down Sloping


I now find myself the furthest away I’m going to be for the next twelve months from my favorite time of year – that, of course, being Christmas. At least I can say this past week rose to the occasion to meet even my lofty expectations. All of the blame for the fun lies with my incredible friends and family. It is wholly appropriate that we are getting pelted with ice and the Patriots look pathetic. It matches my mood right now as I have to deal with the downside of Christmas – that it has to end.
FBR and Daughter this Morning
She Inherited the Family Love of Corn Muffins
Luckily I have the memories of the past week to sustain me. The FBR and my daughter were the last to depart on Saturday morning with a car full to the brim with the spoils of Christmas morning. The FBR was happy because she gets to watch her IPad for the entire trip home. She returned to find that Santa had left a “big girl bed” in her bedroom. She was really excited about this development and in a completely unprecedented event asked my daughter if she could go to bed early on Saturday night and was asleep within minutes. The world was stunned by this but it’s an indication she liked the new bed.
FBR in her Brand New Bed
The BRS was in similar mode back at her home. My son and the ABFA are in the process of moving her accumulated toy wealth from the living room into the titular dining room which is being converted to a play room. The BRS loudly objects to this at times. She also finally finished opening the last of her Christmas presents. Her newest trick is to coax her father into opening the gate to the front stairs whereupon she races up to her room and turns on all the various devices she sees her parents turn on – the sound machine, the humidifier, etc. etc. When her dad asks her if she’s ready to go to bed she emits a squawk of indignation that would make the FBR proud.
The Puzzle Master at Work
Soxfather’s excellent family rose to the occasion on Saturday to help diffuse the pain of the end of Christmas. Soxfather’s cousin hosted his extended family and us in her beautiful home in Jamestown, RI. In a true turn of events my Favorite Panamanian said she would not function as my designated driver since it was further than the usual drives, so I was consigned to soft drinks for the night. This was probably a good thing considering how many Coors Lites met their maker at my hands over the preceding few days. I fulfilled Soxfather’s sister’s most fervent dream and did not exercise my legendary photographic talents that night. I’ve been through Jamestown hundreds of times over the years but in the past year discovered that I’m descended, through my mother’s side of the family, from some of the original settlers there.

Finally after the usual charging around on Sunday I consigned myself to the Man Cave to drown my melancholy. The Patriots did absolutely nothing to assist there as they appear done for the year, no leadership whatsoever from Mr. Brady. I finished off the second season of Mrs. Meisel which might be the funniest thing of television right now. One of the best parts of the past week was watching some episodes with my daughter. I also finished off the first season of the Witcher on Netflix which has the Superman actor running around with long locks fighting monsters. I still have an impressive stack of movies I received at Christmas to run through my new 4K blu ray player but most of those will probably wait form my Favorite Panamanian’s flight south next week. I also found a new obsession with the Ring doorbell we now have – I keep a close watch on my front yard throughout the day through my phone. For all of those who were worried I just got an alert and watched the city workers pick up the huge mound of rubbish Christmas resulted in from the front yard.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
RECURRING CHARACTERS                                           
BRS - Blog Reader the Sequel - second granddaughter; FBR - First Blog Reader - first granddaughter, ABFA – Amazing Best Family Athlete = my daughter in law; Wingman – my son in law; Keene Friends 1 & 2 – friends since high school from my home town of Keene, NH; Soxfather - my brother in law; Great Aunt = my elder sister; Cantankerous Friend – friend since grade school who likes to argue about everything, poses as radical leftist to attract women; Pittsburgh College Roommate – high school friend, also a “Minor Celebrity” in Pittsburgh; Deckzilla – our backyard deck which grew to monstrous dimensions once my wife got involved in planning; Maine and Virginia Musqueteras – two close friends of my wife – her US sisters, my wife is the 3rd musquetera (musketeer); Riggins - also known as the Grandpuppy, son's dog, surrogate grandchild while awaiting arrival of the BRS; PanaGals – female relatives/friends of my wife from Panama; Panamanian/Latin Mafia – inevitable group of Latino friends my wife accumulates wherever we have lived & their spouses; Neighborhood Mafioso - wife's close friend and Panamanian mafia member, Favorite Panamanian - the wife (of course); First Friday – celebrations to mark the First Friday of the Week; Deckzilla Dude – senior citizen carpenter/contractor; Voices of Inappropriate Worth - members of public who come to every Worcester public meeting to complain, all are on public assistance along with demeanor issues

No comments:

Post a Comment