Wednesday, November 6, 2019

Heating Up


I finally succumbed to the elements and turned on the heat in the house for the first time. This is a record for the lateness of date, especially considering I live with a Panamanian who is basically allergic to the cold. She’s been a real trooper refusing to comment about the chilly mornings although the split system on the first floor and the fireplace have been getting a work out over the past few weeks. This is the first time I’ve lived in a house with natural gas for the heat. I love that it is so much cheaper than oil but my unfamiliarity meant I didn’t know how often the furnace needed to be serviced. I had that guy in yesterday. He said his company would say once a year but he said in reality every two to three years is fine.
FBR Goofing Around Last Night
Preparing to Dive into the Tub
The Maine Musquetera blew into town again last evening. Something about eyeglasses and dress alterations, an area I steer clear of when the conversation wanders close. She and my Favorite Panamanian were in full chatter mode following the evening calls with the granddaughters so I became a free agent. At least until Date Night time when I was called upon to herd the proverbial cats into the car in order to make movie time.
We saw Terminator Dark Fate which is a very good reboot of the iconic movie franchise. Both Linda Hamilton and the Governator return in age appropriate roles. They were the best part of the original two movies and Hamilton is outstanding continuing her kick ass mentality well into her senior years. The script does a very good job of weaving the plot into the original mythology and tells the same type of story although the John Conner role is assumed by a feisty Mexican gal. Her savior from the future isn’t a terminator but an enhanced human warrior, also female. You do not want to piss these women off. They’re pursued by yet another upgraded terminator who combines the scariest aspects of all prior incarnations. The action is almost non-stop but there’s a liberal amount of sly humor injected, especially when Arnold shows up as a drape salesman. Yep.  I also loved the small tributes to the original movies liberally laced throughout. I thought the franchise was dead but like the damned terminators themselves, there is life yet. I loved it.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
RECURRING CHARACTERS                                            
BRS - Blog Reader the Sequel - second granddaughter; FBR - First Blog Reader - first granddaughter, ABFA – Amazing Best Family Athlete = my daughter in law; Wingman – my son in law; Keene Friends 1 & 2 – friends since high school from my home town of Keene, NH; Soxfather - my brother in law; Great Aunt = my elder sister; Cantankerous Friend – friend since grade school who likes to argue about everything, poses as radical leftist to attract women; Pittsburgh College Roommate – high school friend, also a “Minor Celebrity” in Pittsburgh; Deckzilla – our backyard deck which grew to monstrous dimensions once my wife got involved in planning; Maine and Virginia Musqueteras – two close friends of my wife – her US sisters, my wife is the 3rd musquetera (musketeer); Riggins - also known as the Grandpuppy, son's dog, surrogate grandchild while awaiting arrival of the BRS; PanaGals – female relatives/friends of my wife from Panama; Panamanian/Latin Mafia – inevitable group of Latino friends my wife accumulates wherever we have lived & their spouses; Neighborhood Mafioso - wife's close friend and Panamanian mafia member, Favorite Panamanian - the wife (of course); First Friday – celebrations to mark the First Friday of the Week; Deckzilla Dude – senior citizen carpenter/contractor; Voices of Inappropriate Worth - members of public who come to every Worcester public meeting to complain, all are on public assistance along with demeanor issues

No comments:

Post a Comment