Monday, November 25, 2019

Cave Tenting


Okay, so it was a weekend where I got to spend time with both granddaughters so I’m going to wax a little eloquent on just how superb these young ladies are. We journeyed up to New Hampshire to my Favorite Son’s home for a small family get together and the FBR could barely contain her excitement at the opportunity to hang out with the BRS. Once they saw each other there was a barely a moment to pause. The FBR gave the BRS a couple presents that she’d acquired for her during the weeklong shopping tutelage under their shared abuela. We had to hide the presents from the FBR during the week because she felt it was important to test drive them.
FBR and BRS in Full Hugging Mode
ABFA Lap Time While Waiting for BRS to Awaken

Soona  Very Happy Abuela

Moana Watching with my Son

FBR On the Move Constantly

HAppily Showing her the Presents she Bought with Abuela

Lots of Cousin Hugs
They soon evolved a game where the BRS would chase the much faster FBR around the house until the FBR dove into the ball tent. The BRS would follow her in and a long hugging session would ensue. There was the inevitable Moana showing and my son ended up with both young ladies sitting in his lap. It didn’t look like he minded too much. The ABFA’s parents also attended which always makes for a great occasion – it’s family, what can I tell ya? At one point the FBR seized control of my cell phone and decided she was going to take pictures of the assembled family members. She’s only four but did a creditable job - all the photos below are hers.
At First She Didn't Master the Selfie

But She Got Grandpa

The Abuela with the BRS

My Son with one of his Signature Scowls

The ABFA's Parents

And the ABFA
We had planned on continuing our drive north to party Saturday night with the Maine Musquetera but I’ve grown allergic to driving a hundred mile through a promised Sunday ice storm. Just call me a wimp. With the FBR in residence there would not be an issue with filling the day up. After church and grocery store we caught an early showing of Frozen 2. This was a huge event in the FBR’s existence which is testimony to the efforts of the Disney marketing department and the fact it’s a pretty good movie. She also sampled her first ever slurpee which was a big hit. See below for what I thought of the flick.
Very Excited!!

Ready to Rock - Although She spent most of the Movie in my Lap
Finally Sunday also featured a football game between the Patriots and the team I idolized earlier in my life – the Dallas Cowboys. I abandoned them as my second team when they signed Terrell Owens. My Favorite Panamanian understood that I was heading for the Man Cave and expected to watch the game in peace. The FBR was under no such illusion. Despite my wife’s best efforts the FBR decided she was going to watch the game with me. Initially I was a little perturbed but taking a moment to consider I remember telling my kids to cherish these moments because all too soon they’ll be outgrown.
FBR and I in the Man Cave - Note Blanket Fort on the left

So I didn’t sit down for the entire game because I was in charge of the door to the blanket tent we created on the couch. The Pats seemed to do better while I was engaging in the vast FBR gaming world so I went with it. We soon had a trampoline and a balloon floating around which I had to look around to see the screen. I got in trouble a couple times when I cheered for something in the game and the FBR chastised me for waking up baby Elsa who was sleeping in the tent. Elsa seemed to have a lot of health issues and needed to be revived several times by bouncing her on the trampoline. The FBR also appointed herself to control the lighting in the room going from day to pitch black night on a continual basis. I don’t think I’ve ever enjoyed watching a game more; and the Patriots won in a driving rain storm.
Since I’ve got a four year old granddaughter now I can once again fearlessly walk into a  Disney animated movie at the cinema. She was overcome with excitement because I’m told this is a very big deal. All the characters are back form the highly successful first movie and the Disney machine cranks out a faithful and, I have to admit it, highly enjoyable sequel. That was me, my granddaughter was beside herself, proclaiming it the best movie ever, at least for now. The songs are not as memorable as the first movie but I thought the journey the heroes are sent on was more engaging. The voices used are still incredible and Disney animation department – say no more. A great time and the granddaughter enjoyed it too.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
RECURRING CHARACTERS                                           
BRS - Blog Reader the Sequel - second granddaughter; FBR - First Blog Reader - first granddaughter, ABFA – Amazing Best Family Athlete = my daughter in law; Wingman – my son in law; Keene Friends 1 & 2 – friends since high school from my home town of Keene, NH; Soxfather - my brother in law; Great Aunt = my elder sister; Cantankerous Friend – friend since grade school who likes to argue about everything, poses as radical leftist to attract women; Pittsburgh College Roommate – high school friend, also a “Minor Celebrity” in Pittsburgh; Deckzilla – our backyard deck which grew to monstrous dimensions once my wife got involved in planning; Maine and Virginia Musqueteras – two close friends of my wife – her US sisters, my wife is the 3rd musquetera (musketeer); Riggins - also known as the Grandpuppy, son's dog, surrogate grandchild while awaiting arrival of the BRS; PanaGals – female relatives/friends of my wife from Panama; Panamanian/Latin Mafia – inevitable group of Latino friends my wife accumulates wherever we have lived & their spouses; Neighborhood Mafioso - wife's close friend and Panamanian mafia member, Favorite Panamanian - the wife (of course); First Friday – celebrations to mark the First Friday of the Week; Deckzilla Dude – senior citizen carpenter/contractor; Voices of Inappropriate Worth - members of public who come to every Worcester public meeting to complain, all are on public assistance along with demeanor issues

No comments:

Post a Comment