Thursday, November 14, 2019

Birthday Eve


An event I anticipate all year is what we used to in the military call “imminent” – the annual pub crawl. This will mark the 6th year in a row where I return to my home town and make my way up Main Street through a series of pubs. I started out in 2013 with just my son and I with guest appearances along the way by Keene Friends 1 & 2. It’s grown over the years to resemble a high school reunion and usually generates a story or two. My daughter and Wingman found out they got the L.A. apartment they were hoping for which led indirectly to the arrival of the FBR. My favorite cousin made an epic wrong turn out of the last bar a couple years ago which led to an equally epic late night search by the rest of us. Alas the beer towers of Scores no longer beckon after the Pour House turn since Scores went under earlier this year. The best part of this event has always been the time I get to spend with family and friends. An added bonus this year as both of my “kids” as well as Great Aunt and Soxfather will attend. Anticipation is heavy enough to slice with a knife.
FBR Stylin This Morning
Worcester is in mourning again today as we lost yet another firefighter on Wednesday night. On the same day when the soon to arrive Red Sox AAA affiliate revealed plans to honor the Worcester 6 from the tragic Cold Storage fire of 1999 Lt Jason Menard was killed trying to save a reported baby on the third floor of a fully engulfed house. I can see the fire station he operated out of from my office window. This occurred less than a year from the date we lost another firefighter. Worcester has thousands of what are called three-deckers. Three storied homes dating back to the industrial peak of this mill town. Many are now huge firetraps and this is the third firefighter to die in action since I arrived here in 2005. Just way too sad but Menard went out a hero as he guided two members of his team out of the inferno before becoming trapped.
R.I.P.
We missed our nightly call with the FBR where she refuses to talk with us but the BRS was in full voice. We now play a game with her where she gestures towards the IPad and we act as if we were thrown back by the force of her gesture after which she giggles uncontrollably at her power.
We were back out in the frigid conditions last night for another movie. We went to see Midway, a truly epic retelling of the turning point battle of World War 2 in the Pacific. I wasn’t sure why this needed to be redone but I’m glad they did because this is case where the real events didn’t need to be embellished and CGI technology brings you right into the pilot’s seat as they dodge flak on their bombing runs. The plot is loyal to the actual history depicting the futility of the early American failures in the initial attacks followed by the sublime courage of the naval aviator attacks on the Japanese carriers. It was a little jarring to see Ed Skrien with his heretofore very British personae sporting a Brooklyn accent but he carries it off. The rest of the cast is equally good with a real attempt to be historically accurate with every aspect, including hairstyles and uniforms. It was an almost impossible task to capture the sweeping world changing events of the short months from Pearl Harbor to Midway but the filmmakers accomplish this and get you to invest in a couple of the well-defined characters as well. I found myself actually gripping the arms of my seat when the dive bombers started their runs through the flak – awesome war movie.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
RECURRING CHARACTERS                                           
BRS - Blog Reader the Sequel - second granddaughter; FBR - First Blog Reader - first granddaughter, ABFA – Amazing Best Family Athlete = my daughter in law; Wingman – my son in law; Keene Friends 1 & 2 – friends since high school from my home town of Keene, NH; Soxfather - my brother in law; Great Aunt = my elder sister; Cantankerous Friend – friend since grade school who likes to argue about everything, poses as radical leftist to attract women; Pittsburgh College Roommate – high school friend, also a “Minor Celebrity” in Pittsburgh; Deckzilla – our backyard deck which grew to monstrous dimensions once my wife got involved in planning; Maine and Virginia Musqueteras – two close friends of my wife – her US sisters, my wife is the 3rd musquetera (musketeer); Riggins - also known as the Grandpuppy, son's dog, surrogate grandchild while awaiting arrival of the BRS; PanaGals – female relatives/friends of my wife from Panama; Panamanian/Latin Mafia – inevitable group of Latino friends my wife accumulates wherever we have lived & their spouses; Neighborhood Mafioso - wife's close friend and Panamanian mafia member, Favorite Panamanian - the wife (of course); First Friday – celebrations to mark the First Friday of the Week; Deckzilla Dude – senior citizen carpenter/contractor; Voices of Inappropriate Worth - members of public who come to every Worcester public meeting to complain, all are on public assistance along with demeanor issues

No comments:

Post a Comment