Tuesday, June 4, 2019

Wings and Things

Wingman, I and My Daughter at my Son's Wedding
Love Sharing Moments Together 

Yesterday’s reminisces about my godmother meant I did not allow proper recognition for the birthday of Wingman. My Favorite Panamanian and I did inflict a very off chord rendition of Happy Birthday on him last evening. It says volumes about my hubris that I didn’t feel the least amount of shame demonstrating my shortcomings in this area to a professional musician. He’s not one to call attention to himself so it lays that responsibility on those who love and treasure him. As with most fathers I never thought I’d accept someone as worthy of my daughter but here we are. He’s fit in seamlessly with the family since he first appeared and learned all the tattoos weren’t a deal breaker. We’ve reached the point where it’s not a true family gathering if he’s not present. We caught up with him and my daughter as they were trying to garb the FBR for bedtime before heading out for a birthday dinner. I got the distinct impression the FBR wanted them out of the house as quickly as possible so she could exert her wiles on the babysitter. At any rate I count myself almost as lucky as my daughter and the FBR to have Wingman in my life. Happy birthday buddy and sorry about the damage your psyche last night with that song. He provided these videos of the FBR hamming it up for his birthday.
I had my own adventures to contend with last evening as I returned from work to find my wife in a state bordering on panic. I was supposed to take her in for a routine ultra sound scan last evening so I did not understand her agitation. She then explained she was not supposed to eat or drink anything after noon, had forgotten and snacked throughout the afternoon. She had been trying to call the clinic to report her misdeeds but trying to find a phone number at a hospital in this day and age borders on the arcane. We eventually made it to the clinic and confirmed she would need another appointment. This would usually be a point where a less smarter version of myself would poke fun at her. Thirty seven years of marriage has provided an excellent education and I kept my mouth shut. Old dog, new tricks, indeed.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
RECURRING CHARACTERS                                            
BRS - Blog Reader the Sequel - second granddaughter; FBR - First Blog Reader - first granddaughter, ABFA – Amazing Best Family Athlete = my daughter in law, formerly known both as MEF – Most Excellent Fiancé & MEG – Most Excellent Girlfriend; Wingman – my son in law; Keene Friends 1 & 2 – friends since high school from my home town of Keene, NH; Soxfather - my brother in law; Great Aunt = my elder sister; Cantankerous Friend – friend since grade school who likes to argue about everything, poses as radical leftist to attract women; Pittsburgh College Roommate – high school friend, also a “Minor Celebrity” in Pittsburgh; Deckzilla – our backyard deck which grew to monstrous dimensions once my wife got involved in planning; Maine and Virginia Musqueteras – two close friends of my wife – her US sisters, my wife is the 3rd musquetera (musketeer); Buddy – AKA the Wonder Pooch – family dog, a black lab – hates squirrels, died in 2017; Riggins - also known as the Grandpuppy, son's dog, surrogate grandchild while awaiting arrival of the BRS; PanaGals – female relatives/friends of my wife from Panama; Panamanian/Latin Mafia – inevitable group of Latino friends my wife accumulates wherever we have lived & their spouses; Neighborhood Mafioso - wife's close friend and Panamanian mafia member, Favorite Panamanian - the wife (of course); First Friday – celebrations to mark the First Friday of the Week; Excellent Boss – my former direct boss at work; Deckzilla Dude – senior citizen carpenter/contractor; Voices of Inappropriate Worth - members of public who come to every Worcester public meeting to complain, all are on public assistance along with demeanor issues

No comments:

Post a Comment