Friday, June 21, 2019

Injection Hubris

FBR Was in Dance Mode Yesterday

One of the things I took out of my Army career was the semi-required attitude where you refuse to acknowledge any sickness or malady. It was considered a sign of weakness, at least in the infantry, to acknowledge something was physically wrong. It’s an attitude that served me well in earlier years despite the frustrations it provided my sister and especially my Favorite Panamanian who thinks a trip to the doctor should follow any, even minor, affliction. I say this in preparation for describing my day yesterday when the pharmacy called to say the shingles vaccine had finally arrived and I should stop by for the first of two shots.
And Then Play Time 
I knocked it out over lunch and half listened to the list of side effects because I believed I was, as in the past, going to be immune to them. I did take pause when he recommended I take the shot in my left arm instead of my offered right. Everything went well until the middle of the night when apparently my body woke up to the foreign substance that had been injected. I was warned there might be a low grade fever and general lethargy. I woke because my teeth were chattering from the fever. I was concerned my wife would notice and summon an ambulance but everything settled down except for a wake up every twenty minutes. I slumped out of bed after the alarm since today was supposed to be a pool day. I drove to the YMCA but finally made an adult decision that I shouldn’t ignore the effects as my left arm was painful to lift above shoulder height. A bit difficult to swim with that condition. I returned home and spent the pre-breakfast workout time on the stationary bike. This stuff is supposed to affect for 24-48 hours so I’ll just have to push through the lethargy. At least it is First Friday and that always has a medicinal effect.
Back at the movies last night for the fourth night in a row and I was rewarded with the best of the lot in Late Night. Emma Thompson is a bona fide treasure and she carries this well written comedy effortlessly. She plays an aging late night talk show host struggling to stay relevant in today’s society. She hires Mindy Kaling straight out of a chemical plant to spice up her writing team and hijinks ensue. Kaling deserves a lot of credit because she more than holds her own as the naïve yet determined writer. The script is smart and takes on a lot of the expected issues with a grace and wit. Thompson is so eloquent, even when she’s not talking. She is the reason to go see this – a true master of her craft at work.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
RECURRING CHARACTERS                                           
BRS - Blog Reader the Sequel - second granddaughter; FBR - First Blog Reader - first granddaughter, ABFA – Amazing Best Family Athlete = my daughter in law, formerly known both as MEF – Most Excellent Fiancé & MEG – Most Excellent Girlfriend; Wingman – my son in law; Keene Friends 1 & 2 – friends since high school from my home town of Keene, NH; Soxfather - my brother in law; Great Aunt = my elder sister; Cantankerous Friend – friend since grade school who likes to argue about everything, poses as radical leftist to attract women; Pittsburgh College Roommate – high school friend, also a “Minor Celebrity” in Pittsburgh; Deckzilla – our backyard deck which grew to monstrous dimensions once my wife got involved in planning; Maine and Virginia Musqueteras – two close friends of my wife – her US sisters, my wife is the 3rd musquetera (musketeer); Buddy – AKA the Wonder Pooch – family dog, a black lab – hates squirrels, died in 2017; Riggins - also known as the Grandpuppy, son's dog, surrogate grandchild while awaiting arrival of the BRS; PanaGals – female relatives/friends of my wife from Panama; Panamanian/Latin Mafia – inevitable group of Latino friends my wife accumulates wherever we have lived & their spouses; Neighborhood Mafioso - wife's close friend and Panamanian mafia member, Favorite Panamanian - the wife (of course); First Friday – celebrations to mark the First Friday of the Week; Excellent Boss – my former direct boss at work; Deckzilla Dude – senior citizen carpenter/contractor; Voices of Inappropriate Worth - members of public who come to every Worcester public meeting to complain, all are on public assistance along with demeanor issues

No comments:

Post a Comment