Tuesday, June 11, 2019

Spell Check Overload

Saturday Night Dinner

I started to write yesterday but I quickly figured out my spell check wasn’t up to the task of a writer operating on one hour’s sleep and abandoned my efforts. You are welcome. I’ll get to the reason for the unrecognized night later. I’d put a lot of miles on since the last time I wrote here. My daughter and Wingman had a wedding to attend on Sunday in Pennsylvania which triggered the grandparent response button for babysitting duty. We set out on Saturday morning for the usual fun and games transitioning through Connecticut. (side note – when they completely close down I-95 – bad news for everybody, even if you’re not within twenty miles of it) My Favorite Panamanian would be staying down in New Jersey while I returned Sunday for that pesky requirement to work on Monday. We fully stocked Saturday upon our arrival with the fun that always seems to follow when we get together with the New Jersey bunch. The FBR was fully engaged with her wading pool but she did take a few moments to greet us before returning to cast her “dragon” (looked like a plastic stegosaurus to me) into the pool for retrieval.
Meanwhile Back in the NH the BRS was in Full Flirt mode



Wingman had to go into work but we followed him a couple hours later to have dinner at his restaurant. The FBR was treated like a well-known celebrity when we walked in. The gal does make a lasting impression. One of my daughter’s best friend (and fellow curbsider) walked in with her family just after we arrived. It was a great dinner with Wingman sneaking away from his duties several times to hang with us. Back home while the FBR prepared for bed my wife and I started out on the great reconnaissance tour. My wife does not trust GPS systems and has a “sense of direction” that rivals Great Aunt for its feebleness. Since she had several trips to take unaided over the next couple days I had to take her to the various places so she would be familiar with them. This is not a task for someone with limited patience (such as myself). A couple trips to the church, the dentist office, and the local YMCA later we returned home to my daughter who had become concerned about the time we had been gone.
Basketball - FBR in Lime Green

Proving Coachable
We now get to Sunday night. Everything had gone swimmingly so far. My Favorite Panamanian had found all of the locations we had reconned and the FBR had been supremely well behaved. She even showed some latent basketball skills (have no idea where she inherited that from). The birthday party she attended at the YMCA was for the same Curbside family we’d run into the night before. The birthday boy was five years old so the FBR at three was one of the youngest guests for the basketball activity. She didn’t let this daunt her and the first time she tried her hand at basketball she was a natural. As seen in the video she’ll need to work on her dribbling but even the coach was shocked when she sank her first ever shot.
Back home I’d accomplished all the usual Sunday chores which combined with mowing the lawn on a hot day plus the long drive earlier made the bed a welcome destination. I was awoken by what I thought was my alarm because I turned it off. It was one of those wakeups where you swear you’d just closed your eyes which turned out to be the case. It was shortly after midnight and the alarm turned out to be the bedside phone. My wife was calling to tell me she was experiencing a fairly serious allergic reaction to something.
Wife's Hands Sunday Night
Frustration immediately set in because I was 3+ hours away and she was in a strange place with the additional responsibility of the FBR. We talked it over and I gave her a couple suggestions and told her I could get in the car and be there in three hours. She said that was the last thing she wanted because it would cause her to worry more. She called back a half hour later to say the reaction was getting worse with her hands and feet swelling. We got on FaceTime and I could see how bad the reaction was. We finally got Wingman on the phone and he related the location of the nearest hospital.

He also texted the address of that curbside family, the only people my wife really knew in the town, who could take the FBR in. I stayed on the phone while she drove over there but after five minutes knocking on the door no one answered. Since my no one from daughter’s generation owns a house phone we were on the horns of a dilemma. The FBR was very chipper through the exotic experience of being up at 3am. She told my wife it was too late to be visiting people. My wife was at the end of her tether as her condition worsened with her face now visibly swelling as well. They returned to the house to get some additional clothes for the FBR. As they were getting ready the neighbor from across the street came out and asked if everything was okay. Once my wife explained the situation the neighbor transitioned into superhero mode.
She drove my wife and the FBR to the hospital and took in the FBR, who insisted first to accompany her abuela to the hospital. I was following this whole ordeal over the phone and felt an immense relief and limitless gratitude to the superhero neighbor when I heard my Favorite Panamanian was finally getting to the emergency room. A couple hours later the doctor had confirmed an allergic reaction to a new medication she was taking for a sore back. They were able to treat her for that and she was on her way home around 530am. I could finally go back to bed at this point which meant I got the other half an hour of sleep I was going to achieve.
Rare Morning Snooze for the FBR
My Favorite Panamanian has shown many times over the years of our marriage a deep well of courage. Sunday night was a sterling example of this. She was in a strange town with a serious health situation and a three year old in tow. Instead of dissolving she rose to the occasion. I am so thankful that my daughter moved into a neighborhood populated by at least one superhero as well. My wife and the FBR used the rest of Monday morning to catch up on some sleep. So that’s why my spell check was so challenged yesterday, today we’re back to the usual treatable levels.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
RECURRING CHARACTERS                                           
BRS - Blog Reader the Sequel - second granddaughter; FBR - First Blog Reader - first granddaughter, ABFA – Amazing Best Family Athlete = my daughter in law, formerly known both as MEF – Most Excellent Fiancé & MEG – Most Excellent Girlfriend; Wingman – my son in law; Keene Friends 1 & 2 – friends since high school from my home town of Keene, NH; Soxfather - my brother in law; Great Aunt = my elder sister; Cantankerous Friend – friend since grade school who likes to argue about everything, poses as radical leftist to attract women; Pittsburgh College Roommate – high school friend, also a “Minor Celebrity” in Pittsburgh; Deckzilla – our backyard deck which grew to monstrous dimensions once my wife got involved in planning; Maine and Virginia Musqueteras – two close friends of my wife – her US sisters, my wife is the 3rd musquetera (musketeer); Buddy – AKA the Wonder Pooch – family dog, a black lab – hates squirrels, died in 2017; Riggins - also known as the Grandpuppy, son's dog, surrogate grandchild while awaiting arrival of the BRS; PanaGals – female relatives/friends of my wife from Panama; Panamanian/Latin Mafia – inevitable group of Latino friends my wife accumulates wherever we have lived & their spouses; Neighborhood Mafioso - wife's close friend and Panamanian mafia member, Favorite Panamanian - the wife (of course); First Friday – celebrations to mark the First Friday of the Week; Excellent Boss – my former direct boss at work; Deckzilla Dude – senior citizen carpenter/contractor; Voices of Inappropriate Worth - members of public who come to every Worcester public meeting to complain, all are on public assistance along with demeanor issues

No comments:

Post a Comment