Wednesday, June 26, 2019

Bessonoified Again

BRS Running Some Circles
It’s been a rather mundane week so far with just work, car inspections, and the occasional action movie. Of course it stretches credulity to describe any time spent with my Favorite Panamanian as mundane. Yesterday she greeted me at the door and said I needed to teach her how to shop online. I immediately retorted that she didn’t need to add this technique to an already loaded repertoire when it came to shopping. The mundanity will not endure with contract negotiations coming up and that exquisite shopping gal headed north tomorrow for granddaughter babysitting duties.
As if the FBR wasn't scary enough!!!
The granddaughters were in fine form last night. All three of the New Hampshire bunch were battling colds although it was hard to tell with the BRS as she was running circles around her dad. He’s at the pinnacle of his cold and had to drive up to Vermont yesterday to visit one of his job sites. The FBR was every bit as saucy as I’ve come to expect. She started the summer camp portion of her day care yesterday and reluctantly admitted that dancing was involved. Luckily her abuela and Mom’s genes will stand her well in that department. 
I was surprised last night on date night by movie I hadn’t heard a lot about – Anna. I’ve always loved Luc Besson movies and didn’t realize this was his latest until the end credits rolled. I then knew why I enjoyed the movie so much. It had everything you’d expect in a Besson movie, almost non-stop action, beautiful/capable women, and some interesting twists. Anna is a fashion model who also happens to be a 1980s KGB assassin who may or may not be a double or even triple agent. Besson employs an interesting use of flashbacks during certain plot points so the outlandish action has reference points. Sasha Luss has real screen presence as Anna and even holds her own with Helen Mirren, her KGB handler, no easy task. The fight scenes were very John Wickian which is certainly not a bad thing although it strains belief that the waif thin Anna could really knock out all the assorted henchmen she does. Luss somehow makes it work though in the very physical fight scenes. I know most critics aren’t showing a lot of love for this but ignore ‘em – this was a great ride.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
RECURRING CHARACTERS                                           
BRS - Blog Reader the Sequel - second granddaughter; FBR - First Blog Reader - first granddaughter, ABFA – Amazing Best Family Athlete = my daughter in law, formerly known both as MEF – Most Excellent Fiancé & MEG – Most Excellent Girlfriend; Wingman – my son in law; Keene Friends 1 & 2 – friends since high school from my home town of Keene, NH; Soxfather - my brother in law; Great Aunt = my elder sister; Cantankerous Friend – friend since grade school who likes to argue about everything, poses as radical leftist to attract women; Pittsburgh College Roommate – high school friend, also a “Minor Celebrity” in Pittsburgh; Deckzilla – our backyard deck which grew to monstrous dimensions once my wife got involved in planning; Maine and Virginia Musqueteras – two close friends of my wife – her US sisters, my wife is the 3rd musquetera (musketeer); Buddy – AKA the Wonder Pooch – family dog, a black lab – hates squirrels, died in 2017; Riggins - also known as the Grandpuppy, son's dog, surrogate grandchild while awaiting arrival of the BRS; PanaGals – female relatives/friends of my wife from Panama; Panamanian/Latin Mafia – inevitable group of Latino friends my wife accumulates wherever we have lived & their spouses; Neighborhood Mafioso - wife's close friend and Panamanian mafia member, Favorite Panamanian - the wife (of course); First Friday – celebrations to mark the First Friday of the Week; Excellent Boss – my former direct boss at work; Deckzilla Dude – senior citizen carpenter/contractor; Voices of Inappropriate Worth - members of public who come to every Worcester public meeting to complain, all are on public assistance along with demeanor issues

No comments:

Post a Comment