Monday, June 24, 2019

Miracle Cure and Europe Bound

FBR and Daughter Getting into Swing of the Weekend

I stumbled on a cure for the after affects for the shingles vaccine that I wrote about in my last post. Fortunately the cure was right in my wheelhouse – beer! I hosted last week’s First Friday celebration on Deckzilla and the affects faded in direct correlation to my consumption of Coors Lite. I’ve always touted the medicinal effect of a good First Friday celebration and I now have semi-scientific proof.
Just Hanging Out
Saturday was chore day with a chance to run around the yard with what my Favorite Panamanian calls my new toy – the battery powered lawn mower. It was kind of weird in that it was so quiet. I guess I can live without the normal lawn mowing experience of vibration and noise but my wife actually came out to see if I was working because she didn’t hear anything. I could literally mow the lawn at midnight without disturbing the neighbors. Of course that would only happen if I partook unduly of my newly discovered miracle cure.
The big new on Saturday was a trip to AAA where we decided on a September trip to Europe. This was something I’d promised my Favorite Panamanian but she always chose return trips to Panama instead. I lived in Germany for two years during my misspent youth but she’s never been there. My annual bonus showed up in the bank on Friday so off we went. We planned on a trip to Italy and Spain but by the time we sat down with the agent my wife, along with her 51% of the vote, decided instead on Switzerland, Austria and Southern Germany. Her reasoning was that so many of her friends had been to Spain and Italy she felt like she’d already visited there. She can be exotic.
Wingman and FBR at Last Week's Grad
Sunday was completely consumed by a long planned project. During the renovation project the roof was removed from the garage and stayed uncovered for a couple weeks before it was enclosed. Combined with the demolition and subsequent construction there was a lot of debris liberally scattered throughout and behind the many shelves and items in storage. The only way to get at it was to remove everything. So that was my Sunday, at least seven hours of it. I’m sure the house looked like Exhibit A from a Jeff Foxworthy monologue with everything spread out in the driveway and front yard.
Playground Supervisor
I was about halfway through when I was chiding myself for taking this on, mainly because of the heat. I eventually got into a rhythm and started to feel that little bit of accomplishment that is integral to continue with a seemingly thankless task. Inevitably I found a lot of the tools I thought were lost and my Favorite Panamanian was there to organize her shelves which helped a lot. The blower got a big workout as the dust and debris was finally removed. Since I was sweating up a storm I found myself literally coated with dirt and dust by the time I was finished. Some showers are more like a religious experience than others.
New Favorite - Corn on the Cob

Slip Sliding
Granddaughter Facetime calls helped alleviate the drudgery of the chore. The BRS is fighting yet another Day Care cold but that didn’t appear to slow her down as my son was in hot pursuit each time she got to her feet. She’s also asking my wife to sing one of her favorite lullabies each time we call by patting her own head. It’s too cute to adequately describe.
Toy Story with Wingman and Woody
The FBR also had a good weekend. It started out with a viewing of the new Toy Story movie with Wingman. She brought along her Woody doll and I can just imagine how much fun that was. The best news was that Wingman’s restaurant is now serving lunch during the week which will allow him weekends off with his new schedule. This meant my daughter’s family was together for the entire weekend which was appropriately celebrated at several playgrounds.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
RECURRING CHARACTERS                                           
BRS - Blog Reader the Sequel - second granddaughter; FBR - First Blog Reader - first granddaughter, ABFA – Amazing Best Family Athlete = my daughter in law, formerly known both as MEF – Most Excellent FiancĂ© & MEG – Most Excellent Girlfriend; Wingman – my son in law; Keene Friends 1 & 2 – friends since high school from my home town of Keene, NH; Soxfather - my brother in law; Great Aunt = my elder sister; Cantankerous Friend – friend since grade school who likes to argue about everything, poses as radical leftist to attract women; Pittsburgh College Roommate – high school friend, also a “Minor Celebrity” in Pittsburgh; Deckzilla – our backyard deck which grew to monstrous dimensions once my wife got involved in planning; Maine and Virginia Musqueteras – two close friends of my wife – her US sisters, my wife is the 3rd musquetera (musketeer); Buddy – AKA the Wonder Pooch – family dog, a black lab – hates squirrels, died in 2017; Riggins - also known as the Grandpuppy, son's dog, surrogate grandchild while awaiting arrival of the BRS; PanaGals – female relatives/friends of my wife from Panama; Panamanian/Latin Mafia – inevitable group of Latino friends my wife accumulates wherever we have lived & their spouses; Neighborhood Mafioso - wife's close friend and Panamanian mafia member, Favorite Panamanian - the wife (of course); First Friday – celebrations to mark the First Friday of the Week; Excellent Boss – my former direct boss at work; Deckzilla Dude – senior citizen carpenter/contractor; Voices of Inappropriate Worth - members of public who come to every Worcester public meeting to complain, all are on public assistance along with demeanor issues

No comments:

Post a Comment