Thursday, June 6, 2019

Alarming Wakeup

BRS and ABFA Sharing a Joke

I returned from my early morning swim yesterday to find my Favorite Panamanian sitting on our bedroom couch looking kind of shaky. I jokingly asked why she was up so early but that humor quickly fled when I realized she wasn’t kidding around. While I was gone for my workout she was awakened from a dead sleep by the entire array of home smoke alarms going off. One of the “benefits” of the recent renovation is that once one alarm goes off every other one in the house cooks off as well. You can imagine the shock of being summoned from a sound sleep by a veritable cacophony. This would have been all well and good except she was just about recovered from a strained back incurred whilst working in her vast garden complex.
Finished the Side of House Stone Emplacement
Leaping from the bed in reaction to the alarms was not a therapeutic procedure and I was also witnessing the aftermath from the surge of adrenaline that spiked in reaction. She was genuinely concerned that she was experiencing some sort of health emergency. I thought she was more scared of what her body was telling her than anything else. She’s not easily scared (except by snakes) so this in turn had me concerned. This resulted in a lost day for her as I told her she should spend the entire day resting. We even canceled another date night movie to allow her the respite. Fortunately she as feeling much better this morning after an alarm free rest.
BRS has a Dedicated Drawer where She Has a Lot of Fun with Dad



We had a bunch of windows open so something must have blown in to set off the initial alarm. It’s a medical themed week since I had my 6 month follow-up to the annual physical. I committed to relating health status to Great Aunt upon penalty of severe pain so I’m happy to report the doctor was happy also. I was less though when he related that I’d reached the ten year anniversary of my last colonoscopy – something to look forward to! He did excuse me from having to take a daily dose of baby aspirin which I really appreciated since that resulted in arterial flow every time I sustained even a modest cut, which is almost guaranteed whenever I work in the yard. He also prescribed a vaccine shot for a shingles vaccine but that proved fruitless when the pharmacy said there was a nationwide shortage and put me on a waiting list.
Out Walking the Neighborhood


Lovin' on her Biddy Riggins
We had a very fun talk with the BRS last night who was at her energetic best as my son tried to clean her up after the food explosion that constitutes her evening meal. The BRS then took her dad out for a walk around the neighborhood. She has adjusted very well to her move up to the toddler room in the day care center. The ABFA reports my son is a little concerned that the male to female ratio in this new room is heavily male so probably contains some future boyfriends. I could only laugh and tell him it will get progressively worse as the years pass. The FBR by contrast was what has become typically un-communicative during our call. We did learn from her mother that she had helped create some egg salad sandwiches at her day care class and the FBR was quick to point out that she hadn’t eaten any of it. So she did breed true after all, taking a page right out of her grandfather’s book. 


Tuesday night date night (before the alarms) had us at the cinema for Godzilla King of the Monsters. This was a very fun ride on the absurdity scale which is what makes these movies so entertaining. It could have been better if the humans could have stayed out of the way a little more. Coach Taylor seemed in a perpetual frenzied state whilst 11 from Stranger Things, as his on screen daughter, proved she is ready for bigger things. I guess the frenzy is understandable as the world reels from an onslaught of immense monsters started by his estranged wife but he could have toned it down. Godzilla is the hero here fighting against a three headed space dragon (yep!). The script must have been penned by a frustrated Yankee fan because poor Fenway Park takes a savage beating in the climactic battle. The advance of CGI technology means the monsters are more “realistic” than the iconic 1960’s versions but this is still a lot of harmless fun (except if you were standing near the real Green Monster).
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
RECURRING CHARACTERS                                           
BRS - Blog Reader the Sequel - second granddaughter; FBR - First Blog Reader - first granddaughter, ABFA – Amazing Best Family Athlete = my daughter in law, formerly known both as MEF – Most Excellent FiancĂ© & MEG – Most Excellent Girlfriend; Wingman – my son in law; Keene Friends 1 & 2 – friends since high school from my home town of Keene, NH; Soxfather - my brother in law; Great Aunt = my elder sister; Cantankerous Friend – friend since grade school who likes to argue about everything, poses as radical leftist to attract women; Pittsburgh College Roommate – high school friend, also a “Minor Celebrity” in Pittsburgh; Deckzilla – our backyard deck which grew to monstrous dimensions once my wife got involved in planning; Maine and Virginia Musqueteras – two close friends of my wife – her US sisters, my wife is the 3rd musquetera (musketeer); Buddy – AKA the Wonder Pooch – family dog, a black lab – hates squirrels, died in 2017; Riggins - also known as the Grandpuppy, son's dog, surrogate grandchild while awaiting arrival of the BRS; PanaGals – female relatives/friends of my wife from Panama; Panamanian/Latin Mafia – inevitable group of Latino friends my wife accumulates wherever we have lived & their spouses; Neighborhood Mafioso - wife's close friend and Panamanian mafia member, Favorite Panamanian - the wife (of course); First Friday – celebrations to mark the First Friday of the Week; Excellent Boss – my former direct boss at work; Deckzilla Dude – senior citizen carpenter/contractor; Voices of Inappropriate Worth - members of public who come to every Worcester public meeting to complain, all are on public assistance along with demeanor issues

No comments:

Post a Comment