Sunday, April 7, 2019

What’s to Worry?

FBR Exuding her Usual Charm
My Favorite Panamanian and I had a rare day off together with neither required to execute any kind of pre-ordained plan. We stopped by to visit one of my employees who’s recovering from cancer surgery and then snuck up to Holden to have lunch at Val’s, a favorite local restaurant. This kind of freedom has been rare for us and something we talked about over lunch.
I told my wife I was heading over to Home Depot to pick up some needed lawn fertilizer when she declared she was coming with me. I immediately realized I was in danger of having to drag her kicking and screaming out of the plant and flower section when my work was done. She behaved however and only looked mildly concerned when I showed up at the check-out register with a large chain saw.
We had a very large tree directly behind the house that blew down over the winter and thankfully fell away from the house. Unfortunately it hung up in a couple of other trees and I don’t feel comfortable having a certified Sword of Damocles over the area I spend some time with in the summer disposing of grass clippings. My biggest concerns however are the possibility of having granddaughters wandering around out there with that immense log above them. Plus I really like to use a chain saw. We’re counting it as my Father’s Day gift. It will be coming down.
My son looked somewhat anxious when he learned of my acquisition. I will admit I do have a proclivity to injure myself, usually in very minor ways, whenever I undertake major (or even minor come to think of it) yard chores. My well scarred hands testify to my lack of good fortune when it comes to that but I’ve never sustained a major injury, even when I fell off the top of Soxfather’s house while painting. I think my wife and son’s fears are overrated but they do mollify my chance-taking inclinations which usually result in blood flow.
Repairs Underdway
I also bought a new toilet fill valve system since the downstairs toilet has been dripping continuously for a while. My wife, again, looked more than a little worried when I assured her this task was well within my capabilities. I mean I did it once before, thirty years ago. Thankfully the advance of time has made the new kits pretty idiot proof. I’m sure the cost of plumbers necessitated that development. I think my wife got a little sick of me demonstrating how proficient I was after successfully installing the new system. In a major development I did not injure myself either.
With some Neighborhood Buds
Both granddaughters checked in yesterday.  The FBR was fresh off another gymnastics session which she really seems to enjoy. We get her for a whole week in a little bit and both of us are more than a little excited. The BRS was entertaining her other set of grandparents this weekend and has taken up running laps around the downstairs using a walker which is a little like cheating but she is nothing if not determined, She narrated the entire walk as well with her patented Viking yells.
Spring has Sprung in New Jersey
Well, I’ve got a tree to deal with. Hopefully tomorrow I’ll be portraying myself as the reincarnation of Paul Bunyan here on Frail Deeds. If not, well, let’s not go there.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
RECURRING CHARACTERS                                            
BRS - Blog Reader the Sequel - second granddaughter; FBR - First Blog Reader - first granddaughter, ABFA – Amazing Best Family Athlete = my daughter in law, formerly known both as MEF – Most Excellent Fiancé & MEG – Most Excellent Girlfriend; Wingman – my son in law; Keene Friends 1 & 2 – friends since high school from my home town of Keene, NH; Soxfather - my brother in law; Great Aunt = my elder sister; Cantankerous Friend – friend since grade school who likes to argue about everything, poses as radical leftist to attract women; Pittsburgh College Roommate – high school friend, also a “Minor Celebrity” in Pittsburgh; Deckzilla – our backyard deck which grew to monstrous dimensions once my wife got involved in planning; Maine and Virginia Musqueteras – two close friends of my wife – her US sisters, my wife is the 3rdmusquetera (musketeer); Buddy – AKA the Wonder Pooch – family dog, a black lab – hates squirrels, died in 2017; Riggins - also known as the Grandpuppy, son's dog, surrogate grandchild while awaiting arrival of the BRS; PanaGals – female relatives/friends of my wife from Panama; Panamanian/Latin Mafia – inevitable group of Latino friends my wife accumulates wherever we have lived & their spouses; Neighborhood Mafioso - wife's close friend and Panamanian mafia member, Favorite Panamanian - the wife (of course); First Friday – celebrations to mark the First Friday of the Week; Excellent Boss – my former direct boss at work; Deckzilla Dude – senior citizen carpenter/contractor; Voices of Inappropriate Worth - members of public who come to every Worcester public meeting to complain, all are on public assistance along with demeanor issues

No comments:

Post a Comment