Wednesday, April 17, 2019

Paris is Burning

Residential Joy out on Deckzilla Yesterday

I was saddened to see the images emanating from Paris where the iconic Notre Dame cathedral suffered some serious fire damage. I know I give the French in general a hard time (well earned) which is strange because I’m a full quarter of French descent but this disaster was hard to see. While the main frame of the building was saved, a lot of the 800 year old roof structure was lost; no word on the fate of Quasimodo. I was heartened by the response of the European elites who have already pledged a billion dollars to restore the church.

It is decidedly difficult to experience any sadness with the FBR is residence for the week. I returned home for lunch yesterday and found my Favorite Panamanian and the FBR outside inspecting the vast gardens. I was immediately challenged to a race around the house in which I was defeated soundly. The FBR reveled in her win and pronounced herself extremely “speedy” for the day. I was doomed by my descent into uncontrollable laughter/joy as I trailed behind her.
And She Cooks
Yesterday’s adventures with abuela included the promised cupcake making session. I was completely on board for this exercise and reveled in returning to a house filled with the aroma of freshly baked confectionaries. The FBR was extremely generous in exhorting me to sample the results of their efforts but my wife was a sturdier defender of my waistline. I’m constantly amazed at how fast the FBR is developing. My daughter calls her a threenager and some of the FBR’s insights and attitudes certainly justify that label. She is still a complete joy to be around.
The Important Frosting Sampling Phase
We had a very entertaining call with her cousin, the BRS, last evening. My son was trying to keep up with his daughter as she charged around the house inspecting every drawer and cupboard trying to find a weak spot in the child proofing defenses. She has also returned to her Viking battle screams and advanced stair climbing that kept my son completely on his toes. The FBR and the BRS will be a formidable pair as they grow up.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
RECURRING CHARACTERS                                           
BRS - Blog Reader the Sequel - second granddaughter; FBR - First Blog Reader - first granddaughter, ABFA – Amazing Best Family Athlete = my daughter in law, formerly known both as MEF – Most Excellent FiancĂ© & MEG – Most Excellent Girlfriend; Wingman – my son in law; Keene Friends 1 & 2 – friends since high school from my home town of Keene, NH; Soxfather - my brother in law; Great Aunt = my elder sister; Cantankerous Friend – friend since grade school who likes to argue about everything, poses as radical leftist to attract women; Pittsburgh College Roommate – high school friend, also a “Minor Celebrity” in Pittsburgh; Deckzilla – our backyard deck which grew to monstrous dimensions once my wife got involved in planning; Maine and Virginia Musqueteras – two close friends of my wife – her US sisters, my wife is the 3rd musquetera (musketeer); Buddy – AKA the Wonder Pooch – family dog, a black lab – hates squirrels, died in 2017; Riggins - also known as the Grandpuppy, son's dog, surrogate grandchild while awaiting arrival of the BRS; PanaGals – female relatives/friends of my wife from Panama; Panamanian/Latin Mafia – inevitable group of Latino friends my wife accumulates wherever we have lived & their spouses; Neighborhood Mafioso - wife's close friend and Panamanian mafia member, Favorite Panamanian - the wife (of course); First Friday – celebrations to mark the First Friday of the Week; Excellent Boss – my former direct boss at work; Deckzilla Dude – senior citizen carpenter/contractor; Voices of Inappropriate Worth - members of public who come to every Worcester public meeting to complain, all are on public assistance along with demeanor issues

No comments:

Post a Comment