Tuesday, April 16, 2019

Residential Effect

The Two Shopaholics at Lunch
Breakfast Discussion with Grampa

The FBR residency with us for the week has impacts way beyond her stature and all for the good. Except, that is, for grandparent energy levels which are and will continue to be challenged throughout said residency. It started bright and early yesterday when the FBR proclaimed that the only item that would be acceptable for breakfast would be some of her abuela’s hojaldras. My responsibilities during the preparation phase involved entertaining the FBR. I was required to dance each time the Paw Patrol theme played from the top of her new tower. I was expected to do this even if I hadn’t heard it. I’m surprised I haven’t gotten any calls here at work today asking why I wasn’t dancing.
The Three Musqueteras in Virginia this Past Weekend

Virginia Musquetera was the Birthday Girl

Gambling Followed
I had the day off yesterday for Patriots Day but my wife did not because she and the Maine Musquetera had signed up to take the FBR out shopping for an Easter dress. It seems the shopping gene which forms an integral part of my Favorite Panamanian’s makeup must skip a generation because my wife has found her soul sister in the FBR. I laughed almost uncontrollably when she recounted her adventures yesterday. The Maine Musquetera confirmed that the FBR was a chip of the old abuela block when it came to shopping, a judgement she is certainly more than qualified to make.
Shoes, Glorious Shoes

On the Hunt

Unicorn Purses!
This was most evident when they passed by the shoe section. The FBR and her abuela were in their element, a favored hunting ground. Once she had acquired her own set of shoes she dedicated herself in assisting my wife in a search. She behaved perfectly during the shopping and later during a lunch out with her shopping compatriots. My wife could not have been more pleased since she had always longed for a shared fascination for shopping that her daughter never manifested. Our daughter took the more pragmatic approach of her father where you only entered stores to buy what you need.
Easter Dress Located

The Two Shoppers in Action

Target Acquired
They returned like conquering heroes and the extended shopping time led to a complaint free afternoon nap for both ends of the three generation spectrum involved. Once they emerged from their slumbers we headed to the movies where we saw Wonderland. I am re-discovering the joy I had taking my own kids to the movies for the first times when they were of similar age. It was a nice animated movie about a young girl and the power of imagination. The FBR, much like her mother did, insisted on sitting in my lap for the entire movie which made popcorn consumption a bit of a challenge. She was enthralled by the experience and that made the experience even more special for me.
Movie Theater

Shopper Tea Party After Dinner
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
RECURRING CHARACTERS                                           
BRS - Blog Reader the Sequel - second granddaughter; FBR - First Blog Reader - first granddaughter, ABFA – Amazing Best Family Athlete = my daughter in law, formerly known both as MEF – Most Excellent FiancĂ© & MEG – Most Excellent Girlfriend; Wingman – my son in law; Keene Friends 1 & 2 – friends since high school from my home town of Keene, NH; Soxfather - my brother in law; Great Aunt = my elder sister; Cantankerous Friend – friend since grade school who likes to argue about everything, poses as radical leftist to attract women; Pittsburgh College Roommate – high school friend, also a “Minor Celebrity” in Pittsburgh; Deckzilla – our backyard deck which grew to monstrous dimensions once my wife got involved in planning; Maine and Virginia Musqueteras – two close friends of my wife – her US sisters, my wife is the 3rd musquetera (musketeer); Buddy – AKA the Wonder Pooch – family dog, a black lab – hates squirrels, died in 2017; Riggins - also known as the Grandpuppy, son's dog, surrogate grandchild while awaiting arrival of the BRS; PanaGals – female relatives/friends of my wife from Panama; Panamanian/Latin Mafia – inevitable group of Latino friends my wife accumulates wherever we have lived & their spouses; Neighborhood Mafioso - wife's close friend and Panamanian mafia member, Favorite Panamanian - the wife (of course); First Friday – celebrations to mark the First Friday of the Week; Excellent Boss – my former direct boss at work; Deckzilla Dude – senior citizen carpenter/contractor; Voices of Inappropriate Worth - members of public who come to every Worcester public meeting to complain, all are on public assistance along with demeanor issues

No comments:

Post a Comment