Friday, April 5, 2019

Back in the Saddle

The New Doo

I’ve been away for a couple days because work, in its usual very pesky manner, intruded on my ability to bore you with my ramblings. In a big surprise the beard continues to abide despite and, against all odds, the return of my Favorite Panamanian. She kind of likes it but that doesn’t mean she isn’t issuing fairly steady grooming tips. It’s getting to the point I’m finding it a little troublesome but still a lot less work than scraping the face each morning.
I’m finally back in the pool, swimming each morning before breakfast. I was kept out while the facial surgery wound was healing and then just got fat and lazy without spousal counseling available. I find that once I get started into the routine again it’s much easier to maintain. Thank God the Army was so insistent over the years that I didn’t get fat; makes this effort more palatable.
Dinner Last Night
I spent all of yesterday and last evening in the annual Leadership Retreat I hold for subordinate managers. We started this a few years ago and I think yesterday’s was the most productive as the union managers finally seemed to be engaged and determined to make a difference. We conducted sessions on leadership and standards expected of them as leaders and then I (actually the company) took them out to dinner. It’s cool to feel you’re actually succeeding at making a difference every once and a while.



I’ve also missed out on calls from the granddaughters for a couple nights which is a lot more troubling. The BRS is following up her electric tour of our house this past weekend by sporting a new hairdo. Just a few weeks ago just the presence of hair was a reason to celebrate. The day care folks added in spike like pony tails that were absolutely endearing. The FBR is bouncing through another Daddy-Daughter day accompanied by a surprise visitor, Wingman’s dad. It was good to see from the accompanying photo that the FBR has not lost anything off her fashion fastball – still a veritable explosion.
My Favorite Fashion Explosion


In more solemn news a friend from elementary school through high school is going through a very tough stretch. She was actually my dream girl in 4th and 5th grade, my first real crush but she was smart enough to avoid me. Her husband has been putting up a fight for his very life over the past decade as his lungs have failed. My friend has been his steady support through all the twists and turns as they tried to find a cure. When we first re-connected over ten years ago she had been told that he only had two years, at most, to live. The fact that he’s still around is testimony to the love and support my friend has provided. In the past week he returned home for hospice care and I’d like everyone to keep both my friend and her very brave husband in their prayers.
Date night had us back at the movie theater on Tuesday night to see The Beach Bum. Despite sporting a couple of my favorite actors this was kind of a disaster. Matthew McConaughey plays the title character, a has-been poet fortunately married to the very rich Isla Fisher, criminally underused here. The movie is a one joke plot that becomes tedious after the first few minutes of enjoying McConaughey’s descent into complete hedonism. There’s no development beyond his complete wretchedness. I’m guessing we’re supposed to sympathize with the people around him because he is ultimately irredeemable and not worthy of consideration. Kind of like this movie.





------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
RECURRING CHARACTERS                                           
BRS - Blog Reader the Sequel - second granddaughter; FBR - First Blog Reader - first granddaughter, ABFA – Amazing Best Family Athlete = my daughter in law, formerly known both as MEF – Most Excellent Fiancé & MEG – Most Excellent Girlfriend; Wingman – my son in law; Keene Friends 1 & 2 – friends since high school from my home town of Keene, NH; Soxfather - my brother in law; Great Aunt = my elder sister; Cantankerous Friend – friend since grade school who likes to argue about everything, poses as radical leftist to attract women; Pittsburgh College Roommate – high school friend, also a “Minor Celebrity” in Pittsburgh; Deckzilla – our backyard deck which grew to monstrous dimensions once my wife got involved in planning; Maine and Virginia Musqueteras – two close friends of my wife – her US sisters, my wife is the 3rdmusquetera (musketeer); Buddy – AKA the Wonder Pooch – family dog, a black lab – hates squirrels, died in 2017; Riggins - also known as the Grandpuppy, son's dog, surrogate grandchild while awaiting arrival of the BRS; PanaGals – female relatives/friends of my wife from Panama; Panamanian/Latin Mafia – inevitable group of Latino friends my wife accumulates wherever we have lived & their spouses; Neighborhood Mafioso - wife's close friend and Panamanian mafia member, Favorite Panamanian - the wife (of course); First Friday – celebrations to mark the First Friday of the Week; Excellent Boss – my former direct boss at work; Deckzilla Dude – senior citizen carpenter/contractor; Voices of Inappropriate Worth - members of public who come to every Worcester public meeting to complain, all are on public assistance along with demeanor issues

No comments:

Post a Comment