Tuesday, April 2, 2019

Soxfather

At His Beloved Fenway

I waited on this to make sure I had permission to report the big news of Soxfather. Last Friday was his last day as the Sports Editor as he retired from a New England based sports web site. This ended a career that saw him start out as the proverbial copy boy for a local newspaper chasing his dream and love of sports, eventually rising to be the respected sports editor for one of the largest newspapers in New England.
With my Daughter and Wingman at a Game in L.A.

With My son and Wingman 
He was the first person to tell me back in the 1980s that the printed newspaper was a doomed industry and was one of the first people trying out the new format on a thing called the internet. The print side got him back for a few years by making him the sports editor but he saw the writing on the wall and transitioned to the web site about a decade ago, even though it involved a tortuous commute to the outskirts of Boston from his Rhode Island den. I’ve always counted on him for the inside scoop of what is going on behind the scenes for this golden age of New England sports.
With Namesake Nephew on Night he Was Honored by his Hometown


He admitted lately he’d grown frustrated with his own industry in recent years. His upbringing required journalistic integrity and telling the truth. The burgeoning information age with instant news and sports talk radio doesn’t need/want that kind of burden and to his immense credit that bothered Soxfather. I’m convinced he would be the seminal author for this era of sports but I’ve been unable to convince him to write the book on it. He is one of the best writers I’ve ever been privileged to read. That battle will continue.
Great Husband 

Immersed in PanaGals
I felt compelled to write this today because he would be the last person to call attention to himself (unless he was arguing with his sister). He is one of the finest human beings I’ve ever met and my brother since that first meeting back in December 1979 (Terminal E, Logan, don’tcha know). He has an innate ability to connect to people and even has a few friends who are Yankee fans. If you knew what a devoted Red Sox fan he has always been (Soxfather – get it?) you would know how significant that is.
McShawn's Night with Argumentative Sister Next to Him
I’m incredibly proud of his career but more so of the man, a devoted husband to my sister and father to my namesake nephew. He also has initiated the newest generation of my family, my granddaughters, into the mysteries that so captivated my son and daughter from their earliest ages. I wrote yesterday about the profound blessings I’ve been fortunate to receive in life, I count Soxfather amongst those. Happy Retirement Soxfather – don’t stop writing and let’s schedule a McShawn’s night soon.
Enjoy Retirement

But Don't Stop Writing!
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
RECURRING CHARACTERS                                           
BRS - Blog Reader the Sequel - second granddaughter; FBR - First Blog Reader - first granddaughter, ABFA – Amazing Best Family Athlete = my daughter in law, formerly known both as MEF – Most Excellent FiancĂ© & MEG – Most Excellent Girlfriend; Wingman – my son in law; Keene Friends 1 & 2 – friends since high school from my home town of Keene, NH; Soxfather - my brother in law; Great Aunt = my elder sister; Cantankerous Friend – friend since grade school who likes to argue about everything, poses as radical leftist to attract women; Pittsburgh College Roommate – high school friend, also a “Minor Celebrity” in Pittsburgh; Deckzilla – our backyard deck which grew to monstrous dimensions once my wife got involved in planning; Maine and Virginia Musqueteras – two close friends of my wife – her US sisters, my wife is the 3rdmusquetera (musketeer); Buddy – AKA the Wonder Pooch – family dog, a black lab – hates squirrels, died in 2017; Riggins - also known as the Grandpuppy, son's dog, surrogate grandchild while awaiting arrival of the BRS; PanaGals – female relatives/friends of my wife from Panama; Panamanian/Latin Mafia – inevitable group of Latino friends my wife accumulates wherever we have lived & their spouses; Neighborhood Mafioso - wife's close friend and Panamanian mafia member, Favorite Panamanian - the wife (of course); First Friday – celebrations to mark the First Friday of the Week; Excellent Boss – my former direct boss at work; Deckzilla Dude – senior citizen carpenter/contractor; Voices of Inappropriate Worth - members of public who come to every Worcester public meeting to complain, all are on public assistance along with demeanor issues

No comments:

Post a Comment