Monday, April 29, 2019

Farewell Friday

First Friday - Keene Friend, Myself, Lady Therese, Pigeon Man
Our First Friday had some special significance a couple days ago because it marked the departure of Lady Therese. She’s been our stalwart server for at least the past seven years and at some point adopted our little group as her special project. While I’m sure some of that was due to the generous tips she received but she more than earned that by going the extra mile to make sure we were always treated with the utmost respect and courtesy. She even moved me, Great Aunt, and Soxfather to the front of a long line of waiting diners when we showed up unexpectedly at Brew City one Saturday.
The Distaff Side with my Wife in Center Back

Great Fun
She will be missed and we had a tremendous turnout to honor her. Even my CFO who has been out of work with her latest health crisis made a point to be there. We passed on the ceremonial pigeon that Lady Therese has hosted for the past five years. It is a pointed joke aimed at my assistant GM who styled himself as an eagle and subsequently an owl to thwart truthful examination of his spotty attendance record at First Friday. Lady Therese christened him as “the Pigeon” and the name stuck. I may have been a bit of a help in that area. It was everything a First Friday was supposed to be and further embellished with my Favorite Panamanian’s attendance.
Lady Therese and the Pigeon
The soggy cold weekend made my plans for external work problematic. I did get the first lawn mowing of the year done although I had to forego the areas still under water. Apparently this has been the rainiest April on record. Part of my external work involved digging a trench to bury a perforated pipe to help the low point drain but that will have to wait. This meant extended time in the Man Cave which I summoned the resources to survive. Like most New Englanders I’m itching to get outside to work once winter starts losing its grasp.
BRS In Full Goofy Mode

Megawatt Smile
There was a funny (at least to my wife) moment on Saturday. We made a combined shopping trip which is always fraught with peril considering the two people involved and their diametrically opposed views on the activity. Considering these viewpoints I dropped her off at the big box store while I went across the parking lot to Home Depot to secure what I need for the aforementioned project. All was going swimmingly until the checkout and as I reached for my wallet I realized I had left it back home (something I never do). I meekly made my excuses while charging back across the parking lot to encounter a very bemused Favorite Panamanian who truly enjoyed rescuing my purchases after excising the proper amount of spousal humiliation.
Sundress Saturday


Goofy Faces with Wingman
The two truly charismatic young ladies currently serving their stint as my granddaughters were at their charming best over the weekend. The BRS excelled at her swimming lessons. My son’s turn in the pool this week and the BRS jumped back into the pool from the side for the first time. The FBR demanded to wear her newly acquired (shopping with her abuela) sun dress over her leotard be for heading to gymnastics. She demonstrated her newly acquired shopping acumen on Sunday (three guesses where that came from) when out to acquire a backpack for her upcoming change in day care situations. She demanded a unicorn one but dismissed everything her parents found, wanting to find the “shiny” one she had seen with her abuela (see, no guesses needed). The parents eventually found it for her online.
Finally had a tough time falling asleep last night after watching the Battle of Winterfell on Game of Thrones. I have one word – “ARYA!!!!!”. Best. Television. Ever.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
RECURRING CHARACTERS                                           
BRS - Blog Reader the Sequel - second granddaughter; FBR - First Blog Reader - first granddaughter, ABFA – Amazing Best Family Athlete = my daughter in law, formerly known both as MEF – Most Excellent FiancĂ© & MEG – Most Excellent Girlfriend; Wingman – my son in law; Keene Friends 1 & 2 – friends since high school from my home town of Keene, NH; Soxfather - my brother in law; Great Aunt = my elder sister; Cantankerous Friend – friend since grade school who likes to argue about everything, poses as radical leftist to attract women; Pittsburgh College Roommate – high school friend, also a “Minor Celebrity” in Pittsburgh; Deckzilla – our backyard deck which grew to monstrous dimensions once my wife got involved in planning; Maine and Virginia Musqueteras – two close friends of my wife – her US sisters, my wife is the 3rd musquetera (musketeer); Buddy – AKA the Wonder Pooch – family dog, a black lab – hates squirrels, died in 2017; Riggins - also known as the Grandpuppy, son's dog, surrogate grandchild while awaiting arrival of the BRS; PanaGals – female relatives/friends of my wife from Panama; Panamanian/Latin Mafia – inevitable group of Latino friends my wife accumulates wherever we have lived & their spouses; Neighborhood Mafioso - wife's close friend and Panamanian mafia member, Favorite Panamanian - the wife (of course); First Friday – celebrations to mark the First Friday of the Week; Excellent Boss – my former direct boss at work; Deckzilla Dude – senior citizen carpenter/contractor; Voices of Inappropriate Worth - members of public who come to every Worcester public meeting to complain, all are on public assistance along with demeanor issues

No comments:

Post a Comment