Wednesday, March 6, 2019

Treinte y Siete


So, today’s the day annually I celebrate my very good fortune a few decades ago when a young Panamanian gal with amazing brown eyes took a chance on a lumbering gringo. As of today we’ve been married for 37 years. She agreed to marry me three days after we’d met and I’m sure just about everybody on both sides of the family were sure that it wouldn’t last. I guess I’m a bit of a contrarian because we’ve proved them all wrong.

Most if not all of the credit goes to the owner of those flashing eyes. I haven’t always been the best partner but she never gave up on me or more importantly on us. It takes a marriage to endure as long as ours have to fully appreciate the sense of completion that is possible to find in another person. I haven’t always been right about some of my decisions in life but this one, the most important, I absolutely nailed.


She is still the spice in my life which these winter absences make me understand fully. While most people my age are seeking the nearest couch she still drags me out to dancing and is always on the cusp of planning the next get together or party. I love that she doesn’t allow me to be complacent because I’m always trying to find ways to make her as happy as she’s made me.


She has a boundless well of love and compassion. A few years ago when she retired from work she immediately began delivering meals on wheels to the elderly and was a customer favorite in record time. You will be her friend if she spend five minutes talking with you, so be warned. She is the glue that holds both sides of our family together but she’s also got a core of solid iron. She would brook nothing in life that would harm one of her children or grandchildren. Despite her small stature she can be a formidable presence.

I’m a very lucky gringo. Happy anniversary mujercita!


------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
RECURRING CHARACTERS                                           
BRS - Blog Reader the Sequel - second granddaughter; FBR - First Blog Reader - first granddaughter, ABFA – Amazing Best Family Athlete = my daughter in law, formerly known both as MEF – Most Excellent Fiancé & MEG – Most Excellent Girlfriend; Wingman – my son in law; Keene Friends 1 & 2 – friends since high school from my home town of Keene, NH; Soxfather - my brother in law; Great Aunt = my elder sister; Cantankerous Friend – friend since grade school who likes to argue about everything, poses as radical leftist to attract women; Pittsburgh College Roommate – high school friend, also a “Minor Celebrity” in Pittsburgh; Deckzilla – our backyard deck which grew to monstrous dimensions once my wife got involved in planning; Maine and Virginia Musqueteras – two close friends of my wife – her US sisters, my wife is the 3rdmusquetera (musketeer); Buddy – AKA the Wonder Pooch – family dog, a black lab – hates squirrels, died in 2017; Riggins - also known as the Grandpuppy, son's dog, surrogate grandchild while awaiting arrival of the BRS; PanaGals – female relatives/friends of my wife from Panama; Panamanian/Latin Mafia – inevitable group of Latino friends my wife accumulates wherever we have lived & their spouses; Neighborhood Mafioso - wife's close friend and Panamanian mafia member, Favorite Panamanian - the wife (of course); First Friday – celebrations to mark the First Friday of the Week; Excellent Boss – my former direct boss at work; Deckzilla Dude – senior citizen carpenter/contractor; Voices of Inappropriate Worth - members of public who come to every Worcester public meeting to complain, all are on public assistance along with demeanor issues

1 comment:

  1. Happy Anniversary, Love Birds! You are a great couple for sure!

    ReplyDelete