Thursday, March 14, 2019

To Beard or Not To Beard

Sox Fan FBR Comes in as a Pro-Beard Vote
I have a decision to make. The stitches in my face from the latest Mohs surgery seemed to have dissolved which means the beard I’ve acquired over the past couple weeks can depart. I know if my Favorite Panamanian was in residence there would be no debate but since she’s a couple thousand miles away for at least a couple more weeks the debate will “rage” on. I probably wouldn’t even be thinking twice except two fairly attractive ladies came up to me yesterday and said they liked it. That was probably more of a comment on what the beard hides versus an actual compliment but my vanity was certainly piqued.
The Issue
The FBR came firmly in as a pro-beard vote although she did hang up on me during our FaceTime call last night. She opined I should try a goatee but that’s too much work. Then there is the torch carrying aspect; my first ever attempt at growing a beard was in college when my then girlfriend (eventual fiancé) asked me to grow one. It was an abdominal failure as it came in all scraggly and was in place when I was introduced to her parents for the first time. That could explain her mother’s enduring opinion of me over the ensuing years.
It was over thirty years before I tried again (gives you an idea of how hideous that initial effort was). I finally grew one in 2005 since it wasn’t allowed during the nearly three decades I spent running around in uniform. I was completely disappointed when the beard came out nearly entirely gray and I know it sounds foolish to be surprised. It will probably disappear since the Favorite Panamanian gets 51% of the vote.
I saw Captain Marvel earlier this week and was thoroughly impressed. The best part was I didn’t even stop to think about the fact it was a female lead in a superhero movie. The earlier work of Natasha Romanov and Diana Prince made that possible. A lot of credit should go to Brie Larsen who was as understated as you can be with fire spurting out of your hands but leavened that with the trademark Marvel humor amidst the almost non-stop action. I know nothing of the background mythology surrounding this character which served me well as I enjoyed this latest background story for a Marvel superhero. The filmmakers also did a good, and at times subtle, job of inserting her story into the Marvel universe. Samuel L Jackson was very effective as a younger version of Nick Fury and it was laugh out loud funny to learn how he lost his left eye (err, as funny as losing an eye can be). Another Marvel success which shouldn’t surprise me at this point.
I finally got around to seeing Mortal Engines as well. I really wish I’d seen this on the big screen because it is truly epic in scope. Once you get past the incredible and frankly ludicrous notion of “predator cities” this was a very enjoyable post-apocalyptic jaunt. Peter Jackson’s New Zealand bunch know how to throw a party and the two young leads in this were allowed to shine despite the motorized cities constantly trying to run them over. I found myself caught up in their very unconventional love story which included a stint in a slave auction and pursuit by a lovelorn super zombie. I did mention this was science fiction didn’t I. Hugo Weaving is along (again a Jackson movie – so a required element) as the bad guy who goes all Darth Vader on the young heroine. I know this movie was almost universally scorned and avoided but I really enjoyed it and encourage you to give it a chance.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
RECURRING CHARACTERS                                           
BRS - Blog Reader the Sequel - second granddaughter; FBR - First Blog Reader - first granddaughter, ABFA – Amazing Best Family Athlete = my daughter in law, formerly known both as MEF – Most Excellent Fiancé & MEG – Most Excellent Girlfriend; Wingman – my son in law; Keene Friends 1 & 2 – friends since high school from my home town of Keene, NH; Soxfather - my brother in law; Great Aunt = my elder sister; Cantankerous Friend – friend since grade school who likes to argue about everything, poses as radical leftist to attract women; Pittsburgh College Roommate – high school friend, also a “Minor Celebrity” in Pittsburgh; Deckzilla – our backyard deck which grew to monstrous dimensions once my wife got involved in planning; Maine and Virginia Musqueteras – two close friends of my wife – her US sisters, my wife is the 3rdmusquetera (musketeer); Buddy – AKA the Wonder Pooch – family dog, a black lab – hates squirrels, died in 2017; Riggins - also known as the Grandpuppy, son's dog, surrogate grandchild while awaiting arrival of the BRS; PanaGals – female relatives/friends of my wife from Panama; Panamanian/Latin Mafia – inevitable group of Latino friends my wife accumulates wherever we have lived & their spouses; Neighborhood Mafioso - wife's close friend and Panamanian mafia member, Favorite Panamanian - the wife (of course); First Friday – celebrations to mark the First Friday of the Week; Excellent Boss – my former direct boss at work; Deckzilla Dude – senior citizen carpenter/contractor; Voices of Inappropriate Worth - members of public who come to every Worcester public meeting to complain, all are on public assistance along with demeanor issues

No comments:

Post a Comment