Tuesday, March 12, 2019

Conversational

FBR Practicing Poses with Pee Wee

I honestly do not understand how prior generations of grandparents survived without video calls. Granted, earlier generations were usually more closely situated geographically, well except for my vagrant Army lifestyle. I often think about my mother during these calls because she was devoted to her grandchildren but never had the opportunity to experience it. It’s become part of my nightly routine to spend a few minutes with each of my “kids” and their families with most of the time spent communicating with granddaughters.
A Rare Reflective Moment at the Playground
Last night the BRS was uncommunicative which is a rare occurrence. I caught her just as she was waking up from her post-daycare nap and the only thing she wanted to do was snuggle with her dad. I went through my entire repertoire of funny faces and noises with zero effect. I’m sure my son was more than a little entertained by my gyrations.
I had much better luck with the FBR. This might have been our best FaceTime call ever as she was very talkative and hugely entertaining for the entire time. We hit on a variety of subjects ranging from toasting marshmallows (she qualifies that as camping) to Disney movies (huge fan) to an in depth discussion on the taste of peanut butter cookies (a passion we share).There was also a showing of muscles (she won) which she picked up somewhere. Both of her parents and I were required to demonstrate we had the basic pose down. She asked Wingman to assist the family cat Pee Wee but we all agreed that wasn’t going to happen. Her latest movie craze is Beauty and the Beast and she waxed eloquently on the transitional character arc of the beast. She also wanted to make sure I was prepared to watch this with her when she next came to visit, as if I had the power to resist any of her suggestions.
Movie Night with Curbside Gen 2 Buds
She also pointed out that she wanted a new toy and gave me specific guidance on what the particulars of the purchase should include; a red button was particularly stressed. She did this without a hint of guile, just feeling it was something important for me to know. Amazon tells me it should be delivered early next week.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
RECURRING CHARACTERS                                           
BRS - Blog Reader the Sequel - second granddaughter; FBR - First Blog Reader - first granddaughter, ABFA – Amazing Best Family Athlete = my daughter in law, formerly known both as MEF – Most Excellent Fiancé & MEG – Most Excellent Girlfriend; Wingman – my son in law; Keene Friends 1 & 2 – friends since high school from my home town of Keene, NH; Soxfather - my brother in law; Great Aunt = my elder sister; Cantankerous Friend – friend since grade school who likes to argue about everything, poses as radical leftist to attract women; Pittsburgh College Roommate – high school friend, also a “Minor Celebrity” in Pittsburgh; Deckzilla – our backyard deck which grew to monstrous dimensions once my wife got involved in planning; Maine and Virginia Musqueteras – two close friends of my wife – her US sisters, my wife is the 3rdmusquetera (musketeer); Buddy – AKA the Wonder Pooch – family dog, a black lab – hates squirrels, died in 2017; Riggins - also known as the Grandpuppy, son's dog, surrogate grandchild while awaiting arrival of the BRS; PanaGals – female relatives/friends of my wife from Panama; Panamanian/Latin Mafia – inevitable group of Latino friends my wife accumulates wherever we have lived & their spouses; Neighborhood Mafioso - wife's close friend and Panamanian mafia member, Favorite Panamanian - the wife (of course); First Friday – celebrations to mark the First Friday of the Week; Excellent Boss – my former direct boss at work; Deckzilla Dude – senior citizen carpenter/contractor; Voices of Inappropriate Worth - members of public who come to every Worcester public meeting to complain, all are on public assistance along with demeanor issues

No comments:

Post a Comment