Monday, March 25, 2019

Sequeled

One Very Happy Grandpa

No blogging this weekend because I was held in complete thrall by my younger granddaughter, the BRS. I awoke Saturday morning to find the streets encased in ice and snow which was not what I expected but I started out anyways to find that it was just my hilltop that was thus affected. I made it up to New Hampshire in plenty of time to join the BRS and her parents for the weekly swim lessons.
What Greeted me Saturday Morning
It’s impossible for me to walk into a YMCA and not be bombarded by memories. I pretty much grew up in the Keene YMCA pool from the age of seven until I left for college. The Portsmouth YMCA is not the same one I competed in (scarily more than fifty years ago) way back in the day but there were still grounds for some serious reminiscing. It was my Favorite Son’s turn to join the BRS in the pool this week. Much like she did in Panama the BRS really enjoys splashing around. My son confirmed the water in the New Hampshire YMCA pool was significantly colder than he’d experienced at our Panamanian condo (go figure).
Son and BRS in Pool

BRS Loved It

Dad Thought it was a little Chilly
After swim lessons the BRS and I go re-acquainted. She was a little reticent at first. She may have been thrown off by the beard. Once she realized I was willing to get down in the dog hair (thanks Riggins) with her we got along swimmingly (J). She is starting to assert some real personality and a bit of a devilish streak. She also inherited the same gene as her cousin, the FBR, which requires the immediate toppling of any Lego tower constructed within range. She would knock it over and then give me a directing look to stand it up again so she could go Godzilla once more.
Lionized Diaper Changing
During her mid-day nap I got to do one of my other favorite activities in the world – hanging out with my son. We perused March madness and he hooked me into another series – Jack Ryan on Amazon prime. I’d loved all the Tom Clancy books and most of the movies so it was an easy sell. I was so thoroughly hooked that I spent the better part of Sunday afternoon upon my return binge watching the rest of it. John Krasinski was impressive as a young Ryan but I was most impressed with Dina Shihabi, an Arab actress who I think we’ll hear a lot more from. She stole every scene she appeared in.
BRS Has a Game She Plays with her Dad

On the Staircase

Such an Entertainer
I took the gang out for dinner to a restaurant the ABFA had noted during her weekly commute through the nearby town of Newmarket, the Riverworks. In a small historical note the Cantankerous Friend had lived just across the street for a few years (no historical marker was noted). The restaurant, on the second floor, was very cool with a lot of exposed beams and sloping floors noting the age of the place. We were soon surrounded, due to the nearby campus, by the usual crowd of UNH students and their visiting parents.
Where we Ate

My All Too Excellent Dinner Companions
The BRS certainly rose to the occasion once she realized she had a significant audience. She had the entire room under her spell in short order. She recently learned to wave and spent the entire time we were there exchanging waves with the father of a group of UNH students at a nearby table. I’m sure that made his daughter a little nervous. It was a great meal and better company. Even her parents marveled at the BRS for her behavior which the ABFA graded as A+. I’ve already noted in prior visits how much the BRS likes to dine out, could be an expensive proposition for her parents in the out years.
Loves to be Wheeled Around in one of her Doll's Strollers

Good Workout for Dad
I tried to share as much as possible of our times together with a very jealous Favorite Panamanian who was out and about during her last weekend in the tropics. Her crazy younger sister was up from Panama City and the home town feria was in its final days but they all took a break from that whenever the chance came to coo at the video screen. The BRS seemed to revel in the homage paid.





I had to return home for the usual Sunday drudgery in preparation for the work week. Around laundry, grocery shopping, and pot roast simmering I finally heard from the other granddaughter who returned from California. Both my daughter and the FBR were exhausted from their trip to reunite with the three other gals that were all born within days of each other to my daughter and her close friends. They hadn’t been back together since my daughter returned to the right coast.
FBR Flying Home

Reunited with Wingman

Easier to Carry if you get out of it Sweetheart
My daughter reported the FBR and her best friend from back in the day were like an old married couple, either best friends or mortal enemies, all within the space of a couple minutes. I found it interesting that my daughter chose to use that description. The FBR was obviously a little punchy since she got up at 430am for the trip to the airport and the only thing she wanted to report was the exotic taxi ride to the airport. My daughter, though equally punchy, was a little more informative. Wingman was seriously happy to have his girls back under the same roof.
Wingman Just Sent this
This is How the FBR Wanted to Watch TV This Morning
I Think she Missed her Dad
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
RECURRING CHARACTERS                                           
BRS - Blog Reader the Sequel - second granddaughter; FBR - First Blog Reader - first granddaughter, ABFA – Amazing Best Family Athlete = my daughter in law, formerly known both as MEF – Most Excellent Fiancé & MEG – Most Excellent Girlfriend; Wingman – my son in law; Keene Friends 1 & 2 – friends since high school from my home town of Keene, NH; Soxfather - my brother in law; Great Aunt = my elder sister; Cantankerous Friend – friend since grade school who likes to argue about everything, poses as radical leftist to attract women; Pittsburgh College Roommate – high school friend, also a “Minor Celebrity” in Pittsburgh; Deckzilla – our backyard deck which grew to monstrous dimensions once my wife got involved in planning; Maine and Virginia Musqueteras – two close friends of my wife – her US sisters, my wife is the 3rdmusquetera (musketeer); Buddy – AKA the Wonder Pooch – family dog, a black lab – hates squirrels, died in 2017; Riggins - also known as the Grandpuppy, son's dog, surrogate grandchild while awaiting arrival of the BRS; PanaGals – female relatives/friends of my wife from Panama; Panamanian/Latin Mafia – inevitable group of Latino friends my wife accumulates wherever we have lived & their spouses; Neighborhood Mafioso - wife's close friend and Panamanian mafia member, Favorite Panamanian - the wife (of course); First Friday – celebrations to mark the First Friday of the Week; Excellent Boss – my former direct boss at work; Deckzilla Dude – senior citizen carpenter/contractor; Voices of Inappropriate Worth - members of public who come to every Worcester public meeting to complain, all are on public assistance along with demeanor issues

No comments:

Post a Comment