Thursday, March 7, 2019

Granddaughter Bingo

BRS Mid-Bellow

I had a very funny interface with both of my granddaughters last night. Each night I have a FaceTime call with them, something that has become a true highlight of my day, especially since the house is so lonely to return to after work in my wife’s absence. She has been a lot busier than I on the social side and had missed out on a number of opportunities. She would always bemoan missing out but usually wasn’t available until both granddaughters were in slumber mode, which is of course sacrosanct for their parents, rightfully so.
FBR Domination of  some Pink Boots
Last night the FBR called in early and was ready to talk for the first time in a while. My daughter was a little challenged since she was trying to get dinner ready at the same time the Wi-Fi kept cutting out for our call. The FBR related her latest adventures while inspecting the damage on my face from the latest Mohs surgery. We were getting ready for another game of hide and seek where she takes off with the IPad and hides it. She then acts like she can’t remember where she put the device while my part consists of taunting her for that inability. It’s great fun for her at least.
Meanwhile - Somewhere in Central America
We were just getting warmed up when they noticed that my wife was trying to connect from Panama so I ceded the electronic spectral floor to my Favorite Panamanian. I then called my son who said he had literally just off the phone with his mother so there was a bit of granddaughter bingo going on. Luckily both sets of parents are supportive of grandparent need to connect with their daughters.
BRS Bonding with Riggins




The BRS was having some fun with her own parents as they tried to feed her. She was bellowing in full Viking mode again. It turns out that I speak fluent BRS because we engaged in a series of grunts back and forth which had me laughing uncontrollably. The BRS seems to have finally accepted me as worthy of recognition, something that has my wife concerned after the bond I formed with the FBR.






My social situation will improve this weekend as the Cantankerous One will be journeying south to experience First Friday with us and reacquaint himself with Worcester on Saturday. He attended Worcester Poli-Tech for a while back in the 1970s and hasn’t been back for a true visit since, so this could be fun. Soxfather and Great Aunt are also joining us Saturday night for a viewing of Bohemian Rhapsody so, in the edited words of General Maximus Decimus Meridius, “I shall be entertained!”.
Tuesday night I wasn’t so fortunate as I went to see Isn’t it Romantic. I’m a huge fan of Rebel Wilson so I was surprised she wasn’t more effective in the lead role. I got the impression she was prevented from making her trademark side comments which I’m sure are adlibbed. She plays an underappreciated NYC architect who hates room-com movies only to find herself transported into one after a head injury. She spends way too much time fighting against the scenario which became frustrating. There were some very clever images, such as birds flying in heart shaped formations, inserted by the filmmakers as they tried to transform NYC into a rom-com fantasy environment. That transformation was the funniest part of the movie but wasn’t mined as well as it could have been. So a surprising disappointment for the hilarious Ms. Wilson who may be a better counter-puncher from a supporting role than being called upon to carry an entire movie.
Wife and Sisters Visiting a Favorite Ailing Uncle

More Pics from her Costa Rica Adventure




------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
RECURRING CHARACTERS                                           
BRS - Blog Reader the Sequel - second granddaughter; FBR - First Blog Reader - first granddaughter, ABFA – Amazing Best Family Athlete = my daughter in law, formerly known both as MEF – Most Excellent Fiancé & MEG – Most Excellent Girlfriend; Wingman – my son in law; Keene Friends 1 & 2 – friends since high school from my home town of Keene, NH; Soxfather - my brother in law; Great Aunt = my elder sister; Cantankerous Friend – friend since grade school who likes to argue about everything, poses as radical leftist to attract women; Pittsburgh College Roommate – high school friend, also a “Minor Celebrity” in Pittsburgh; Deckzilla – our backyard deck which grew to monstrous dimensions once my wife got involved in planning; Maine and Virginia Musqueteras – two close friends of my wife – her US sisters, my wife is the 3rdmusquetera (musketeer); Buddy – AKA the Wonder Pooch – family dog, a black lab – hates squirrels, died in 2017; Riggins - also known as the Grandpuppy, son's dog, surrogate grandchild while awaiting arrival of the BRS; PanaGals – female relatives/friends of my wife from Panama; Panamanian/Latin Mafia – inevitable group of Latino friends my wife accumulates wherever we have lived & their spouses; Neighborhood Mafioso - wife's close friend and Panamanian mafia member, Favorite Panamanian - the wife (of course); First Friday – celebrations to mark the First Friday of the Week; Excellent Boss – my former direct boss at work; Deckzilla Dude – senior citizen carpenter/contractor; Voices of Inappropriate Worth - members of public who come to every Worcester public meeting to complain, all are on public assistance along with demeanor issues

No comments:

Post a Comment