Sunday, March 17, 2019

New Doo, Spring Clean, and a Hasty Beer


The New Doo
The biggest news from yesterday was a new hairdo for the FBR. She and I talked about the approaching appointment with the stylist over the past week during our nightly calls. Much to her mother’s horror the FBR and I agreed she should get a haircut like my military inspired buzz cut. I’m thankful my daughter still accepted my calls after that episode. Thankfully the wiser head of my daughter prevailed and the results speak for themselves. The FBR proclaimed that she loved the updated look although it does provide a glimpse into the future as she looked so much older. She’s still a little goofy on our call last night so thankfully nothing else has changed.
Assessing


Celebratory Lollipop

That call came while I was hanging out with Keene Friend and Cantankerous Friend for an unplanned opportunity back in my home town. I planned on knocking out a couple projects in the house; cleaning up both the garage and the basement. Both were related to the home renovation project which required a lot of the junk located in the garage to be moved to the basement. Instead of moving it all back up I received guidance from the house commander in chief – My Favorite Panamanian. 
Basement Before Picture

Garage Before Picture
She tried to supervise form Panama which allowed me a lot more leeway. She wanted one of the large racks in the garage moved to the basement but she indicated a lack of confidence I could accomplish that move without breaking anything. The night earlier I had some fun with both of my kids by telling them I was going to try and move two couches from the basement upstairs by myself. I guess it says something about my penchant for idiocy that they both took me seriously, became very concerned, and tried to talk me out of it. So I guess I have a well-deserved/earned reputation that screams out a need for supervision.
Safe Rack Photo
I proudly sent my wife a photo of the rack safely in the basement with an accompanying promise that nothing had been broken in the process. I got both projects well underway when I received a text from Keene Friend saying he and Keene Friend 2 were getting together for their traditional St Patty’s Day beer later Saturday afternoon. I immediately flashed back to my college days where St Patty’s days were sacrosanct party days usually starting at 6am at a bar called Scorpio’s. I felt required to honor that memory and hanging out with two of my best friends didn’t hurt either.
Basement After Picture

Garage After Picture
Keene Friend 2 could only hang for an hour because he had another social event later in the day. After the obligatory stop at Score’s for the aforementioned beer(s) we stopped in at Margarita’s for more beer and a gringo burger. Cantankerous Friend popped up on a text message declaring he was available. He joined us for dinner and then follow up college basketball games at Keene Friend’s house. It was a perfect way to spend what would have otherwise been a lonely evening in the Man Cave.
The Two Keene Friends Yesterday

Very Funny Sign Outside Scores 
Returning my hometown has an almost medicinal quality for me. Topping the small rise on Main Street and seeing the tall white church at the head of the square imbues me with a true sense of coming home. I feel bad a times that I denied my own kids this opportunity since, as Army brats, they have no true hometown. Someone posted some photos of the road into town that I drive each time, I share them with you to get a sense of part of the reason I love going home. While there is a profound level of memory the place is soaked with the true reason I love being there lies in the people there. Yesterday was a perfect example of that.
That View of Main Street

The Iced Cliffs of Troy - My Mother in Law Loves these


Mount Monadnock - You Know You're getting Close
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
RECURRING CHARACTERS                                            
BRS - Blog Reader the Sequel - second granddaughter; FBR - First Blog Reader - first granddaughter, ABFA – Amazing Best Family Athlete = my daughter in law, formerly known both as MEF – Most Excellent Fiancé & MEG – Most Excellent Girlfriend; Wingman – my son in law; Keene Friends 1 & 2 – friends since high school from my home town of Keene, NH; Soxfather - my brother in law; Great Aunt = my elder sister; Cantankerous Friend – friend since grade school who likes to argue about everything, poses as radical leftist to attract women; Pittsburgh College Roommate – high school friend, also a “Minor Celebrity” in Pittsburgh; Deckzilla – our backyard deck which grew to monstrous dimensions once my wife got involved in planning; Maine and Virginia Musqueteras – two close friends of my wife – her US sisters, my wife is the 3rdmusquetera (musketeer); Buddy – AKA the Wonder Pooch – family dog, a black lab – hates squirrels, died in 2017; Riggins - also known as the Grandpuppy, son's dog, surrogate grandchild while awaiting arrival of the BRS; PanaGals – female relatives/friends of my wife from Panama; Panamanian/Latin Mafia – inevitable group of Latino friends my wife accumulates wherever we have lived & their spouses; Neighborhood Mafioso - wife's close friend and Panamanian mafia member, Favorite Panamanian - the wife (of course); First Friday – celebrations to mark the First Friday of the Week; Excellent Boss – my former direct boss at work; Deckzilla Dude – senior citizen carpenter/contractor; Voices of Inappropriate Worth - members of public who come to every Worcester public meeting to complain, all are on public assistance along with demeanor issues

No comments:

Post a Comment