Sunday, September 16, 2018

Tropical Solitary

The Visiting Sister and Nephew

I was left to my own devices yesterday as my wife drove back to David for the day to spend time with her younger sister who was visiting from Panama City. They were supposed to come to the beach but the sister didn’t want to expose her new car to the ruts of the approach road to our condo. My wife asked me if I wanted to come with her and I had to balance spending a day at the beach boogie boarding or going to sweltering David and accompany what I’m sure would be some dedicated shopping. The microsecond it took me to make that decision was well spent.
Waves Seen from our Balcony
Sea Eagle on Nearest Palm Tree
I spent the day accomplishing the requisite boogie boarding and since I didn’t have the sun Nazi around I overstayed what my dermatologist would like and got a little bit too much sun, but the waves were so uniformly awesome I was like the proverbial kid in a candy shop. Between sessions on the waves I read under the beachside shelters enjoying the absolute solitude other than the crashing waves. Then a credible tribe of pre-pubescent girls arrived for a birthday party for one of the other residents. There were of that age where every form of communication consists of shouts and squeals. They set up about twenty feet behind me and were soon splashing around the pool between exclamations of delight in each other’s company. Since the arrival of granddaughters I’m a lot more tolerant of these type interactions because I inevitably turn my thoughts to what they’ll be like when they reach that very excitable age. I abandoned the reading for an extended session in the waves hence the sun tan which resulted in a through scolding when the Favorite Panamanian retuned later in the day. I waded out into the waves to try and give you an idea how special the surf is here. This is not to be recommended (the whole wading out with an electronic device and the accompanying lack of agility that comes with elder years).
Wading Out




And Looking Back towards Condo
I fielded a couple of calls from the shopping sisters in which I was able to thoroughly shame my sister in law telling her I was going to start calling her car “Pendejo” since she didn’t want to get it dirty. That apparently had an effect because shortly thereafter I was informed instead of spending the night in David the two sisters and my nephew were enroute to Las Lajas. It turned out my sister in law’s car is equipped with a snorkel so she could have driven through a literal flood to get here. The result was a very enjoyable evening gathered around the kitchen (because that happens in all cultures) and laughing almost non-stop.
Son's Latest Wall
I received a couple FaceTime calls while awaiting their arrival. My son and the BRS reported he finished off one of the smaller walls that are part of his huge front yard wall project. The BRS did not seem that impressed. The FBR was very excited to tell me about her first day in gymnastic class. The FBR and gymnastics are a match made in heaven with her boundless energy and almost scary lack of fear. My daughter and Wingman reported she was an immediate star and even waited her turn when instructed. When the instructor called for volunteers for one of the first exercises the FBR ran to be first. I think this is going to be a lot of fun both for her and the instructor.
Still had Energy After Class

With Mommy

And Freind


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
RECURRING CHARACTERS
BRS - Blog Reader the Sequel - second granddaughter; FBR - First Blog Reader - first granddaughter, ABFA – Amazing Best Family Athlete = my daughter in law, formerly known both as MEF – Most Excellent FiancĂ© & MEG – Most Excellent Girlfriend; Wingman – my son in law; Keene Friends 1 & 2 – friends since high school from my home town of Keene, NH; Soxfather - my brother in law; Great Aunt = my elder sister; Cantankerous Friend – friend since grade school who likes to argue about everything, poses as radical leftist to attract women; Pittsburgh College Roommate – high school friend, also a “minor Celebrity” in Pittsburgh; Deckzilla – our backyard deck which grew to monstrous dimensions once my wife got invole din planning; Maine and Virginia Musqueteras – two close friends of my wife – her US sisters, my wife is the 3rdmusquetera (musketeer); Buddy – AKA the Wonder Pooch – family dog, a black lab – hates squirrels, died in 2017; Riggins - also known as the Grandpuppy, son's dog, surrogate grandchild while awaiting arrival of the BRS; PanaGals – female relatives/friends of my wife from Panama; Panamanian/Latin Mafia – inevitable group of Latin friends my wife accumulates wherever we have lived & their spouses; Neighborhood Mafioso - wife's close friend and Panamanian mafia member, Favorite Panamanian - the wife (of course); First Friday – celebrations to mark the First Friday of the Week; Excellent Boss – my former direct boss at work; Voices of Inappropriate Worth - members of public who come to every Worcester public meeting to complain, all are on public assistance along with demeanor issues

No comments:

Post a Comment