Thursday, September 27, 2018

Depressed and then Shopping!

FaceTiming with Favorite Son and BRS

Yesterday was probably the nadir of my post-military life and predictably it came from interacting with the political elements I have to deal with. I cannot get into details but for the first time I was on the verge of standing up at a meeting, telling them exactly what self-important, small people they all were and they could solve their problems without me. Throughout my military career I dealt with real world problems that would dwarf anything these small town gas bags had ever had to consider yet I had to sit and listen to them questioning my integrity. That was the tripping point and one of my “friends” on the committee realized his counterpart had crossed a line and reeled him back in. In the end we were able to address the issue needed but a part of whatever respect I had for this group was eroded.
Mobility Enhanced


My trying day wasn’t complete though because my wife gleeful reminded me I had promised to go shopping with her after work. I don’t know what I was thinking when I agreed to that. We’ve reached a point where we have to make some concrete decisions and purchases on items for the new space Deckzilla Dude has created. I think my wife understood the kind of day I’d had because she even agreed to make a couple decisions. We ended the night on the computer buying faucets, shower heads, and towel racks – riveting stuff.
Routinely Sits up Now
My small issues in life are always relieved when I get to see either of the two granddaughters. Last night the FBR was eating at her dad’s restaurant and for the first time was allowed to sit on her own side of the table without a parental barrier to wandering. She handled it like a champ, a fact my daughter allowed was due to her love of parmesan cheese. The night before she stole the IPad during our FaceTime call and took us to play in her ball tent. It was interesting to play hide and seek with her there. The BRS continues to thrive and her increased mobility has Riggins questioning the meaning of life.
FBR Steals IPad and is Seen running to the Ball Tent

Our View in the Ball Tent

Until the FBR "Finds" Us
My wife was finally convinced to see the new Predator movie after I persuaded her it wasn’t one of the chest bursting Alien movies. This was okay but could have been a lot better as they updated the Predator mythology with a director who was one of the supporting actors from the original film. Predators still come to the planet to hunt but there’s now a nefarious government agency tracking them and trying to access their technology. The interaction predictably goes awry with liberal amount of blood and gore applied. A group of war ravaged, military misfits form the lone group capable of confronting the predator who’s actually trying to help humanity until his much bigger, more lethal version shows up. You’d think Olivia Munn would be a stretch as a genetic scientist but handles her role with aplomb and being one of the “boys” (I know hard to believe). I’ve liked Shane Black’s prior movies because of the sly banter he features and this movie with his band of misfits, featuring a very strong cast of actors, offered the perfect opportunity. Unfortunately many of these lines were mumbled and unintelligible which is something they should have caught in the editing process. The worst offender was the lead actor which did not help. Suspending disbelief is a given in a predator movie but there were several times when even a geek like me felt like saying, “C’Mon!” All this being said – it was a good action flick with a strong, if mumbling cast. I liked it.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
RECURRING CHARACTERS
BRS - Blog Reader the Sequel - second granddaughter; FBR - First Blog Reader - first granddaughter, ABFA – Amazing Best Family Athlete = my daughter in law, formerly known both as MEF – Most Excellent FiancĂ© & MEG – Most Excellent Girlfriend; Wingman – my son in law; Keene Friends 1 & 2 – friends since high school from my home town of Keene, NH; Soxfather - my brother in law; Great Aunt = my elder sister; Cantankerous Friend – friend since grade school who likes to argue about everything, poses as radical leftist to attract women; Pittsburgh College Roommate – high school friend, also a “minor Celebrity” in Pittsburgh; Deckzilla – our backyard deck which grew to monstrous dimensions once my wife got invole din planning; Maine and Virginia Musqueteras – two close friends of my wife – her US sisters, my wife is the 3rdmusquetera (musketeer); Buddy – AKA the Wonder Pooch – family dog, a black lab – hates squirrels, died in 2017; Riggins - also known as the Grandpuppy, son's dog, surrogate grandchild while awaiting arrival of the BRS; PanaGals – female relatives/friends of my wife from Panama; Panamanian/Latin Mafia – inevitable group of Latin friends my wife accumulates wherever we have lived & their spouses; Neighborhood Mafioso - wife's close friend and Panamanian mafia member, Favorite Panamanian - the wife (of course); First Friday – celebrations to mark the First Friday of the Week; Excellent Boss – my former direct boss at work; Voices of Inappropriate Worth - members of public who come to every Worcester public meeting to complain, all are on public assistance along with demeanor issues

No comments:

Post a Comment