Friday, September 7, 2018

Re-Immersed

Last Night's Celebratory Wings and Beer
My Favorite Panamanian and I were back doing battle with the Panamanian bureaucracy yesterday as we nailed down the final two pieces of paperwork I’m going to need for next week’s meeting with the immigration ministry. A brief description of our day will give you an insight into what this process involves. We first had to produce an electric bill from our Panamanian residence. The ones from our condo don’t count since the original bill is split up by the homeowners association to each resident. Since the only other option is in the name of my mother in law we had to get two non-family members to sign an official statement, duly notarized, that my wife and I are resident with her while in Panama. We drafted my mother in law’s maid and a childhood friend of my wife for the honors.
Daughter and Son are Providing Pictures of Granddaughters
Which Help Morale So Much - BRS Still Laughing

FBR Helping out in Kitchen
The next stop had a government bureaucrat who wouldn’t accept the electric bill as evidence since it was for July and not August. We then had to go to the electric company for a statement that the August bills wouldn’t come out for another couple weeks. This bureaucrat kept asking our lawyer how much my retirement pay was and my lawyer told her it was none of her business because those taxes were paid in the US. She finally told her that my pension was $12K a year because she thought she was looking for a bribe and this would put her off.
Exploring
Our final event was obtaining what is called a paz y salvo but in an attempt to move into the 21st century this is only available on line now. My wife, our lawyer and I sat around my mother in law’s dining room table as I battled the log in system and an extremely balky Wi-Fi signal. We were on the verge of giving up when I figured out a missing step. I think I was channeling my two kids’ consciousness as they have laboriously tutored me over the years on the electro-magnetic spectrum. We finally made it to the document we needed but it wouldn’t allow me to save it, only print but, of course, we had no printer. Another lesson from my daughter clicked in that I could print to file and saved the document that way. I then sent it to the lawyer’s office so she could print it out. I can only imagine what some of the older Panamanians, without access to the internet, would have to go through to get this paperwork.
Deep Dinner Conversations with Family Friend
In way of celebration I took the family out for wings and beers last night which was exactly what the doctor ordered. Sustained laughter with family is the absolute best way to mitigate the pain of dealing with entrenched bureaucrats. Since our work prior to next week’s meeting is done we’re headed for our beach condo for the weekend. My prediction – serial Atlas consumption.
Fun with Daddy

Since telenovelas are not my calling I’ve spent a lot of my down time here in the evenings pursuing my predecessors on Ancestry.com. It really is addictive. I now have over 3700 people on my family tree. A couple of the latest additions were one of the Salem ladies accused of witchcraft (but not one that was executed) and a British knight called Bloody John. He was one of Queen Mary’s most ardent prosecutors of protestants and he was rumored to be a vampire in his home village. We’re also descended from the second mate on the Mayflower who was also the navigator. I’m not sure this is something to crow about though because I think the Mayflower was supposed to land in Virginia, not Massachusetts. This is pretty cool stuff.
Keene Friend is Providing Photos of Progress Back Home
Looks Like the new Floor is Almost Done
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
RECURRING CHARACTERS
BRS - Blog Reader the Sequel - second granddaughter; FBR - First Blog Reader - first granddaughter, ABFA – Amazing Best Family Athlete = my daughter in law, formerly known both as MEF – Most Excellent FiancĂ© & MEG – Most Excellent Girlfriend; Wingman – my son in law; Keene Friends 1 & 2 – friends since high school from my home town of Keene, NH; Soxfather - my brother in law; Great Aunt = my elder sister; Cantankerous Friend – friend since grade school who likes to argue about everything, poses as radical leftist to attract women; Pittsburgh College Roommate – high school friend, also a “minor Celebrity” in Pittsburgh; Deckzilla – our backyard deck which grew to monstrous dimensions once my wife got invole din planning; Maine and Virginia Musqueteras – two close friends of my wife – her US sisters, my wife is the 3rdmusquetera (musketeer); Buddy – AKA the Wonder Pooch – family dog, a black lab – hates squirrels, died in 2017; Riggins - also known as the Grandpuppy, son's dog, surrogate grandchild while awaiting arrival of the BRS; PanaGals – female relatives/friends of my wife from Panama; Panamanian/Latin Mafia – inevitable group of Latin friends my wife accumulates wherever we have lived & their spouses; Neighborhood Mafioso - wife's close friend and Panamanian mafia member, Favorite Panamanian - the wife (of course); First Friday – celebrations to mark the First Friday of the Week; Excellent Boss – my former direct boss at work; Voices of Inappropriate Worth - members of public who come to every Worcester public meeting to complain, all are on public assistance along with demeanor issues

No comments:

Post a Comment