Tuesday, September 25, 2018

Roofed

Sippy Cup Adventures with the BRS

Yesterday saw some dramatic goings on at the home front. Deckzilla Dude and his hardy crew completely installed the roof over the new addition and stayed late to apply sealing tape so today’s rain wouldn’t intrude. We also had a conference in the new space where my wife was called upon to make some decisions. As we all know this is not her strong suit and it was almost funny to see her put into a situation where both the Dude and I were waiting for her to make one. As usual her decision will result in a fantastic result which is why I love my job of pushing her to make the hard fought choices.
We Have a Roof
Speaking of my wife there was also a funny incident that brought back a lot of memories. I’ve talked to my mother in law who related stories of my wife’s childhood where each of the kids took turns preparing dinner. The other family members always bemoaned it when my wife’s turn came up because invariably she would get distracted by something and the meal would burn. This carried on to our married life where the seemingly daily appearance of smoke in the kitchen always led my kids to exclaim, “Mommy’s Cooking!” Which brings us to yesterday when I returned home for lunch expecting the steaks I bought on sale a few weeks to be just finishing up on the grill.
I couldn’t find my wife so I went out onto Deckzilla and saw the grill was almost glowing. Once the temperatures dropped and I could safely approach the grill I opened the top to find an apocalyptic scene of charred pieces of meat and ash. It looked like a small nuclear device had gone off. My wife came downstairs to find me inspecting the damage and tearfully reported the demise of the aforementioned steaks. My Favorite Son and I do not allow my wife to grill steak and this was a good example of why. She thought it was a good idea to put the steaks on and then go upstairs for a “quick” shower. Of course once she did that she kind of semi-forgot about the steaks which were disposed of in the woods behind the house and have probably burned  halfway to the earth’s core by now. She absolutely forbade me from saying anything to anybody about this little incident and I have not. She didn’t preclude me from writing about it though. Remember you didn’t hear this from me. I could only laugh as she was a lot harder on herself than I could ever be.




We had a very fun call with the BRS last night as her personality continues to manifest itself. She was seated for dinner and her parents had given her a sippy cup to figure out. It was hilarious to see her reach out for it and firmly wrestle it into her mouth and then get frustrated that no water would come through. She hadn’t figured out the whole tipping it back yet. Her determination though was evident which is a very good sign. She got so frustrated at one point that she started to cry and then my wife started singing to her and the BRS immediately broke into a smile.
I am still Predator-less as my wife insisted on accompanying back to the cinema last night as I continue to play catch up on my movie going following the tropical sojourn. We to see A Simple Favor which was very, very good. It was a semi-dark comedy thriller that allowed Anna Kendrick and Blake Lively to shine. There were twists and turns throughout just when the viewer thinks the characters have defined themselves. The Crazy Rich Asian guy was along as the foil caught between the two dynamo actresses and almost held his own. Kendrick is so, so good as a single soccer mom who becomes drawn into Lively’s very confusing circle. The feeling of being uncomfortable just when you think you’re safe was the best part of this. You start out thinking both actresses are playing to type but that is consistently turned on its head. Go see this.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
RECURRING CHARACTERS
BRS - Blog Reader the Sequel - second granddaughter; FBR - First Blog Reader - first granddaughter, ABFA – Amazing Best Family Athlete = my daughter in law, formerly known both as MEF – Most Excellent FiancĂ© & MEG – Most Excellent Girlfriend; Wingman – my son in law; Keene Friends 1 & 2 – friends since high school from my home town of Keene, NH; Soxfather - my brother in law; Great Aunt = my elder sister; Cantankerous Friend – friend since grade school who likes to argue about everything, poses as radical leftist to attract women; Pittsburgh College Roommate – high school friend, also a “minor Celebrity” in Pittsburgh; Deckzilla – our backyard deck which grew to monstrous dimensions once my wife got invole din planning; Maine and Virginia Musqueteras – two close friends of my wife – her US sisters, my wife is the 3rdmusquetera (musketeer); Buddy – AKA the Wonder Pooch – family dog, a black lab – hates squirrels, died in 2017; Riggins - also known as the Grandpuppy, son's dog, surrogate grandchild while awaiting arrival of the BRS; PanaGals – female relatives/friends of my wife from Panama; Panamanian/Latin Mafia – inevitable group of Latin friends my wife accumulates wherever we have lived & their spouses; Neighborhood Mafioso - wife's close friend and Panamanian mafia member, Favorite Panamanian - the wife (of course); First Friday – celebrations to mark the First Friday of the Week; Excellent Boss – my former direct boss at work; Voices of Inappropriate Worth - members of public who come to every Worcester public meeting to complain, all are on public assistance along with demeanor issues

No comments:

Post a Comment