Sunday, September 9, 2018

Confirmation

View from our Balcony

Every now and then a shadow of a doubt will creep into my head about whether I was crazy to embark on the retirement plan of the winter months down here in Panama. Then I get to spend a few days down here at our condo and all those doubts are sucked away in the warm surf of Las Lajas. The photo above shows my view each morning. As I look out this morning there’s a thunderstorm out in the bay which stayed off shore but provided a vibrant rainbow for about ten minutes.
First Friday
We came down on Friday and spent a couple hours on clean up detail as a beachfront condo is a little like a boat in the requisite upkeep. Combine that with the height of Panamanian rainy season and there was scrubbing to do after the condo sat vacant for a couple months. It was nothing a couple of Atlas beers on the balcony couldn’t solve after the work was completed. I felt it important to insure the sanctity of honoring the First Friday of the week was maintained.
I followed my usual routine here on Saturday morning of an early morning body surfing session followed by a few laps in the pool. Panamanians are not the earliest risers in the world so I had the beach and the pool completely to myself. My Favorite Panamanian has always been concerned that my body surfing would get me into trouble and warns me about the rainy season surf being too dangerous. I always nod my head and then directly head for a confrontation with said waves. Yesterday I met my match as for the first time as I realized these waves were bigger (15-20’) and more powerful than I had ever experienced before. I guess the fact I could feel their impact on the third floor should have clued me in. There were also massive currents between sets that knocked me over a few times. At any rate after a couple wild rides that were more survival mode than enjoyable I admitted I was fighting above my weight and retired to the pool. The wife took the news that I finally admitted she was right with the expected equanimity. I’ll anxiously await the calmer waters of the dry season.
FBR is Becoming a Puzzle Master
Put this New Puzzle Together All by Herself
The power went out for a few hours yesterday as they claimed to be working on the grid but that worked out okay because my mother in law forgot some important medication so we journeyed back to David to pick that up before returning to the beach. We also picked up seven batteries because Friday night was spent listening to the constant chirping of the smoke detectors that required new batteries – another beach front living lesson learned – note to self – bring plenty of batteries next time. We just found an eighth one as well. Who puts a smoke detector in a storage closet!?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
RECURRING CHARACTERS
BRS - Blog Reader the Sequel - second granddaughter; FBR - First Blog Reader - first granddaughter, ABFA – Amazing Best Family Athlete = my daughter in law, formerly known both as MEF – Most Excellent FiancĂ© & MEG – Most Excellent Girlfriend; Wingman – my son in law; Keene Friends 1 & 2 – friends since high school from my home town of Keene, NH; Soxfather - my brother in law; Great Aunt = my elder sister; Cantankerous Friend – friend since grade school who likes to argue about everything, poses as radical leftist to attract women; Pittsburgh College Roommate – high school friend, also a “minor Celebrity” in Pittsburgh; Deckzilla – our backyard deck which grew to monstrous dimensions once my wife got invole din planning; Maine and Virginia Musqueteras – two close friends of my wife – her US sisters, my wife is the 3rdmusquetera (musketeer); Buddy – AKA the Wonder Pooch – family dog, a black lab – hates squirrels, died in 2017; Riggins - also known as the Grandpuppy, son's dog, surrogate grandchild while awaiting arrival of the BRS; PanaGals – female relatives/friends of my wife from Panama; Panamanian/Latin Mafia – inevitable group of Latin friends my wife accumulates wherever we have lived & their spouses; Neighborhood Mafioso - wife's close friend and Panamanian mafia member, Favorite Panamanian - the wife (of course); First Friday – celebrations to mark the First Friday of the Week; Excellent Boss – my former direct boss at work; Voices of Inappropriate Worth - members of public who come to every Worcester public meeting to complain, all are on public assistance along with demeanor issues

No comments:

Post a Comment