Thursday, September 13, 2018

Birthday Surprises and Final Check

The Birthday Gathering
Atlas Beer May be Involved in my Facial Expression

The water eventually returned yesterday just in time for the surprise birthday party my wife and her siblings planned for my mother in law. We also had a more serious monsoon rain for the better part of an hour around mid-day. The street in front of the house was literally under water for the better part of an hour and that is notable because as with most streets in Panama it is severely crested to deal with the rain. Thankfully everything fell into place for the party which was the predictable amount of fun whenever my wife’s family gathers.



Her young sister, one blessed with an excessive amount of personality, showed up from Panama City with her son shortly before the party and contributed her usual amount of bedlam and laughter. Since it was a rare fresh day following the rain we staid mostly out on the front porch and car port. We imported a veritable landslide of chicken wings and my wife made a memorable cake. Friends, neighbors, and family continued to show up throughout the evening and it was more fun than I thought possible.
Wife and her Two Sisters




Earlier in the day I was volunteered to help my mother in law with some landscaping work under the very direct supervision of my Favorite Panamanian. As you can imagine with the tropical climate and non-stop rains there was a lot to trim back. I also volunteered to cut down a small tree in the back yard that was blocking the sun from the resident banana tree. It reminded me of my infantry lieutenant days in the Panamanian jungle as I was given a machete to cut the tree down. Maybe it was because I was forty years younger because it seemed a lot easier back in the 1980s. Of course it could be the machete I was given would probably have trouble cutting bread given its dull blade. At any rate I just imagined the faces of the legion of bureaucrats I’ve had to deal with over the past few years down here and brute force and ignorance had the tree down fairly quickly.
The Fallen Tree

Meanwhile, Back Home

The final piece of business prior to the party was finally picking up the check for the sale of our land which has been a two year odyssey. This was the land we were planning on building a second home on before the condo opportunity emerged. We’re very happy with how that worked out but it was another exercise in extreme patience working our way through the sale process. Back home Keene Friend provided the above photos as an update to renovations taking place in our absence.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
RECURRING CHARACTERS
BRS - Blog Reader the Sequel - second granddaughter; FBR - First Blog Reader - first granddaughter, ABFA – Amazing Best Family Athlete = my daughter in law, formerly known both as MEF – Most Excellent FiancĂ© & MEG – Most Excellent Girlfriend; Wingman – my son in law; Keene Friends 1 & 2 – friends since high school from my home town of Keene, NH; Soxfather - my brother in law; Great Aunt = my elder sister; Cantankerous Friend – friend since grade school who likes to argue about everything, poses as radical leftist to attract women; Pittsburgh College Roommate – high school friend, also a “minor Celebrity” in Pittsburgh; Deckzilla – our backyard deck which grew to monstrous dimensions once my wife got invole din planning; Maine and Virginia Musqueteras – two close friends of my wife – her US sisters, my wife is the 3rdmusquetera (musketeer); Buddy – AKA the Wonder Pooch – family dog, a black lab – hates squirrels, died in 2017; Riggins - also known as the Grandpuppy, son's dog, surrogate grandchild while awaiting arrival of the BRS; PanaGals – female relatives/friends of my wife from Panama; Panamanian/Latin Mafia – inevitable group of Latin friends my wife accumulates wherever we have lived & their spouses; Neighborhood Mafioso - wife's close friend and Panamanian mafia member, Favorite Panamanian - the wife (of course); First Friday – celebrations to mark the First Friday of the Week; Excellent Boss – my former direct boss at work; Voices of Inappropriate Worth - members of public who come to every Worcester public meeting to complain, all are on public assistance along with demeanor issues

No comments:

Post a Comment